Fuse Block Accessory Decisions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seventyss

Reaction score
Getting ready to install an EB PC-8 fuse block and only have two switched outputs. Will be wiring GPS (which I will remove from the bike when the bike is off) unswitched but don't know what I will add in the future so I want to conserve the switched outputs. Will do some long rides but not sure how much.

I would have anything that might go unnoticed if left on, like heated grips, wired to be switched

off with the ignition key. This would prevent unwanted battery drain.

I would wire anything I might want to use without the bike on or running, like a GPS unit, to be

unswitched. This assumes such devices have their own switch to turn it off.

I have a third circuit, with it's own switch, wired directly to the battery for battery tender,

air compressor, etc.

Getting ready to install an EB PC-8 fuse block and only have two switched outputs. Will be wiring GPS (which I will remove from the bike when the bike is off) unswitched but don't know what I will add in the future so I want to conserve the switched outputs. Will do some long rides but not sure how much.
everything I have on my fuse block is switched.

seventyss

My heavy amp accessories are switched on my PC8. However I have it wired to switch on with the headlight circuit. That way when I turn the key on, because the headlight is still off, the battery still has full amperage to start the engine. When the engine fires, the headlights come on as well as the circuit for my heated gear.

My Starcom Digital is on a non switched circuit. It has a switched 1 amp power out port that I run to a relay which switches other electronics. When I plug in my helmet the Starcom turns on and triggers the relay which powers up my radio.

Hope this helps.

:)

Brodie

Last edited by a moderator:
The only think I do not have switched is my powerlet on the panel over the battery - I use it for my trickle charger and GPS. Everything else is switched thru my BlueSea.

Same as Brodie I have everything on my two fuse-blocks switched except for my Starcom. As he said the Starcom switches itself on/off when connected to the headset. This way I don't hang up on my wife when I'm talking on the cell phone when I pull in for fuel. Ditto for listening to my favorite song on the iPod (but the XM receiver is switched so it turns off).

I do the GPS on switched power even though I usually take it off the bike when I stop for the night. But since it has an internal battery it doesn't lose any stats when it has no power. I found switched is better for me since the GPS stays on the bike when it's in my garage, and now that I'm offiically "old" I've occasionally forgot to turn it off.

OK, so the PC-8 is set up with 2 switched outputs and 6 unswitched. I could wire it the opposite and get 6 switched and 2 unswitched. I am hearing most say that they us more switched outputs. How did you accomplish that?

unswitched:

GPS (overall MPH needed)

Rear jastek outlet so it can be used to plug the battery tender into

memory on radio (station set, etc.)

Unswitched for me:

1) 2 of my 3 GPSs. I previously had all my GPSs as switched but changed two of them after the Cape Fear rally. My main routing GPS is a Garmin SP 2820. It can take a minute or 2 to find sat signals on startup. This was a major inconvenience if I had to stop my bike at a bonus stop or simply stopping for lunch. You had to wait while the satellite signal was acquired preventing a quick getaway. You cannot forget to turn the GPS off when unswitched.....yep I have forgotten!

2) Maplite so that I can read a map at night without the bike running or key in place.

3) Doran tire pressure monitoring system.

Everything on my ride is switched . . . . the GPS asks if I'd like to leave it on - and this way I can't forget to turn it off, so my battery won't be discharged.

OK, so the PC-8 is set up with 2 switched outputs and 6 unswitched. I could wire it the opposite and get 6 switched and 2 unswitched. I am hearing most say that they us more switched outputs. How did you accomplish that?
You have it backwards. The PC8 has 2 unswitched, and 6 switched. Edit: Whoops. I'm harking back to the kit on my DL650. It can be made to reverse. It just depends on where you connect the lead that runs to the relay.

On my GPS I had my power outlet and my GPS unswitched (always on). Everything else (not much) was switched.

I have both

FZ1 has a buss (connection) down one side which is unswitched, and another down the other side which is switched

you can chose how each circuit behaves by where you place that circuit's fuse

well I have the unswitched side connected over to the switched side through a small toggle switch.

normal position of the toggle is switched

but most of the time when on the road, I push the toggle on and now all my farkles that go to the fuzeblock are now unswitched and on no matter the key

Gentlemen, look again.

The Power Center 8 has 2 bus bars which have no switching capability by themselves whatsoever. You decide how to configure it, you provide the relays. You could have 2 circuits switch live with the key switch, and 6 circuits switch live after the engine starts and the headlights come on.

top-open-wired.jpg

Or not.

I will say that our friend Jim Davis has a great farkle, well worth the price.

:rolleyes:

Brodie

Doesn't everybody run TWO fuse blocks? I run one Centech AP-1 with a relay and everything on it is switched, and one of Curt's beautiful FZ-1 Fuzeblock's that has both switched and non-switched stuff.

I use a Fuzeblock.

GPS, powerlet plugs, Starcom unswitched (although I put a toggle switch in the power line so that I can shut it down when I want to, for instance overnight with helmet still plugged in). Radar detector switched. Horn relay direct to battery.