Fuse Box

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Mc

Reaction score
I've got a 07 and would like to install a fuse box up front. Everything seems simple enough except choosing a wire to trigger the relay? Can someone point to the best wire to choose? What color? Where is it located?

Thanks

What relay are ya wantin' to trigger? I'd suggest (as many here will also) running straight from the battery to said fuse box.

From what I've read, the relay is activated when it gets power from the switch wire. My question is - what wire do I splice into to to provide that power?

Also, I understand that the power is coming directly from the battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes a relay is activated by power..... I'm confused.. what are you wanting to do? You say a fuse box up front, cool but why the relay?

Damn I hate being in the twice a year be nice weekend. You feckers are gonna owe me big if I have to work this out.

Ion is undoubtedly drowning his laughter in fermented maple syrup over this.. Dik!

I don't understand where yer goin' wif dis. You want to run power to the fuseblock via a relay? Why?

I don't understand where yer goin' wif dis. You want to run power to the fuseblock via a relay? Why?
So that the fuse box is dead until it's switched by the relay.......so the the smoke doesn't get out the fuse box and all it's connections in case something goes wrong. :rolleyes:

If you have six or whatever farkles all wired up without a relay they'd all be hot all the time from the hot lead from the battery.

I've got a 07 and would like to install a fuse box up front. Everything seems simple enough except choosing a wire to trigger the relay? Can someone point to the best wire to choose? What color? Where is it located?

Thanks

If the box is in the front, the parking / marker light is easy to get to, or an unused horn wire if youv'e swaped out horn and used Randys harness, or in the rear, there's the blue tailight wire. Here's how I tapped the blue wire......

IMG_1275.jpg

Geez, Bust, put the drink down or stop trying to think!!!! :D

He wants the fusebox relay to turn on when the bike turns on. He wants to know where to get power for the coil of the relay. The switch side of the relay connects the battery to the fuse box, which powers the toys.

Blue wire to running lights or taillights is easiest thing to tap. If you're up in the nose, though, you want something else, and I'm not where I can look it up right now.

You'll find an unused connector, in the harness for the factory heated grips under the left faring near the horn. From memory this connector is a single wire and the connector is brown in color. You can also tap into the screen autoretract wire/plug if you're which is located near the winker relay, behind the B panel (the one on the RHS with the headlight adjustment knob). If you want this fusebox to only come one after the bike is actually running, than tap into the 1 headlight relay located behind the C panel (on the LHS with the headlight adjustment knob). Again from memory this wire is like blue/white but it would be really quick to check once you've got the panel off and the relay exposed. This relay is all by itself so you can't miss it once the panel is off.

https://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff425/dmcg00/th_grips.png?t=1292983113

I just got my hot grips, and the instructions are a little lacking. Can anyone explain how the electric flows. I am thinking when you flip the switch to high electric flows from A to grips, and when you flip the switch to low... electric flows from B to grips. This makes sense to me, but I just want to some confirmation.

Edit: Sorry the picture is pretty bad; its my first time using paint. It's also my first time posting a picture.

https://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff425/dmcg00/th_grips.png?t=1292984192

Another question: How do I make the photo larger and clearer?

You'll find an unused connector, in the harness for the factory heated grips under the left faring near the horn. From memory this connector is a single wire and the connector is brown in color. You can also tap into the screen autoretract wire/plug if you're which is located near the winker relay, behind the B panel (the one on the RHS with the headlight adjustment knob).
From Bounce's FJR Tips page

https://www.fjr-tips.org/mods/shield/shield.html

Edit: Sorry the picture is pretty bad; its my first time using paint. It's also my first time posting a picture.
Look like you're posting the thumbnail, not the actual picture. When you're looking at your pics in album view on Photobucket (the page with all the pics in thumbnail view,) hover your mouse over thumbnail of the pic you want to post. for lines of gibberish-looking code appear. Click the fourth line, it will say "Copied," and just paste that into your post where you want the picture to appear. It has all the right language to put the picture, not just a link, into your post.

I just got my hot grips, and the instructions are a little lacking. Can anyone explain how the electric flows. I am thinking when you flip the switch to high electric flows from A to grips, and when you flip the switch to low... electric flows from B to grips. This makes sense to me, but I just want to some confirmation.

grips-1.png

I got the answer... On high, the electric flows from A to grips. There is a internal pivot inside the switch.

Edit: I learned three things: the sitch, how to draw a picture with paint, and how to post a picture: