FZ-1 mirrors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattster31

Reaction score
So I park my machine at work, and decide to fold the mirrors back to clear the trucks backing into the bay (ambulance station) Well wouldn't you know it, the left one pops off in my hand!! :angry: I bought a set of the FZ1 mirrors from eBay and they seemed to be good quality, and I have been happy with them until today. Thankfully, I can just drill and re-tap the mount and everything will be fine....this time. Just goes to show, you get what you pay for. I think I should have bought two sets :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC, its not the mounting bolts, but the rivet that attaches at the pivot point between the base and the mirror stalk. There's a thread "someplace"...

Suffice it to say (BTDT), take it apart and remove the rubber boot. Then take the pieces to the local store (Ace, True Value, NAPA, etc.) that has a selection of metric bolts. Buy one the correct diameter and long enough to thread a self-locking nut onto it. Tighten it to "snug"--so the mirror will still fold, and Voila! Better than new.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoops............I meant to say it was the bolt at the pivot :unsure: In Hindsight, it's a bit of a cheap set up the way it was. I will just replace it with a longer bolt and nut on the topside so the spring will work properly, and allow them to fold the way they should (without snapping off).

The seller was D2Moto. I don't want to slag them, as their customer service was great. I would buy from them again. Perhaps I will post up my first "How-to" for the mirror mod.....but I've said that before :rolleyes:

It is THE common problem with the EMGO mirrors. After that "improvement", mine were stable and didn't move around in the wind.

Oh Man...

I'm getting excited. Last week I ordered OEM FZ-1 mirrors from Mr. Cycle. (From this forum I heard the fleabay

mirrors were knockoffs and not quite up to par with Yamma's offerings. I hope the fix works well for you Mattster!)

Anyway...checking the tracking number for FEDex shows the mirrors in town and to be delivered TOMORROW! :yahoo:

I have real FZ1 mirrors and fold the left one regularly because I park on a sidewalk at work, and folding it gets it out of people's way, it doesn't get bumped. Never had a problem.

Latest posts