G2 Ergo Install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZrider

Reaction score
I received the G2 FJR Throttle tamer today. It was an easy install, the only difficult part being getting the rubber grip off the OEM tube. I used my air compressor and it came off with a little effort. The cable ends snapped in place, the spacing was just like the stock grip and I used some grip cement left over from my ST-1300 heated grip installation to make sure it slipped on and stayed in place. Everything went together and it's impossible to tell it from the stock. The whole process took less than 15 minutes.

Performance is another thing. The first thing I noticed was that the "snatchy-ness" of the throttle was gone. It is smooth as glass now and there's no "jump" or "snap" in acceleration as it's more linear now. Roll on is smooth and controllable. Also on the roll off (and I haven't figured this out yet) is much less abrupt which makes shifting a lot easier.

The next item on the list will be the "spring" unwrap (one turn) but for the present I would just like to put some more miles on the bike before I tear into it and lift the gas tank etc. to get access to the center return spring.

Thanks for the suggestion on the G2, best money for the result I could have spent and Sam at G2 lived up to his word, great mod to the bike. :yahoo:

AZ

Last edited by a moderator:
It is smooth as glass now and there's no "jump" or "snap" in acceleration as it's more linear now.
You will eventually notice that the rapid input of throttle has merely moved to a range futher into the throttle rotation where it is far less likely to cause an unanticipated problem or to feel like you have to be VERY careful if you want to be smooth. The thing is great, IMHO.

If you don't mind throttle rockers, try one of those before you unwind the spring.

HTH.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are considering oversize grips or grip puppies, try them before unwinding the spring. If you do both oversize grips and unwind the 3rd spring, you may find the throttle a bit soft.

EZrider

I talked to Sam yesterday about the throttle tubes. He said the new ones are the exact diamater as stock. Are you thinking about puting a throttle lock on your bike? I was told that we shouldn't have to spread the throttle lock to make it fit the new G2 throttle tube. What type of grips did you put on?

Greg

I also recently installed a G2 Ergo and reflect the same comments as others -- should make low speed throttle control a much easier thing now!

One comment that I have not seen anyone mention yet, when replacing the hand throttle cam tube (don't know if that is the right name but it sounds right) - remember to clean the handlebar and add some fresh grease to the handlebar and the inside of the G2 tube (a thin coat is more than enough); the shop manual calls for lithium soap grease.

Luis

EZriderI talked to Sam yesterday about the throttle tubes. He said the new ones are the exact diamater as stock. Are you thinking about puting a throttle lock on your bike? I was told that we shouldn't have to spread the throttle lock to make it fit the new G2 throttle tube. What type of grips did you put on?

Greg
Greg,

I just put the stock grip back on. I blew it off with my air compressor. Took a little effort but nothing really difficult.

I'll add grip puppies next.

AZ

vista cruise works fine with this also. like jeff said, you have to twist the throttle back further to get the abruptness back. my front wheel just wasnt coming up like it used too...