G2 Ergo Throttle Tube Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick2

Reaction score
I just got G2's "Throttle-Tamer" and intend to install it. I haven't made any adjustments to my throttle (i.e. the center spring release). I've read the "G2 Ergo Throttle Tube and Cam, The best farkle yet to fix throttle abruptness (2006)" in the bin o' facts, but I still have a question: Should I do the G2 and the spring release at the same time or just install the G2? I seem to recall someone mentioning combining fixes and their relative effects, but I didn't see it in this read.

Thanks guys.

Both make a huge difference. The throttle tube is easier to do, no removing the tank or digging around. Do the tube and take it for a ride. If your not satisfied then do the spring release. I would recommend doing both though. You'll never know the benefit of the spring release unless you do it and there is no negative affect from doing the spring release, just maks sure you only release the center spring.

Both make a huge difference. The throttle tube is easier to do, no removing the tank or digging around. Do the tube and take it for a ride. If your not satisfied then do the spring release. I would recommend doing both though. You'll never know the benefit of the spring release unless you do it and there is no negative affect from doing the spring release, just maks sure you only release the center spring.
Thanks. I'll likely do both. I'm gonna wait and see if anyone else thinks that it's a good/bad idea then go for it.

Nick

I would recommend you do the G2 first, and make sure the throttle cable is adjusted properly, then ride a few weeks.

Then -- if you want to do the spring unwind, you can.

The G2 install doesn't require any under the tank work, and is a very fast install (IMO).

The Spring change is a little more difficult (mostly getting to it), and is far more difficult to re-wind if you decide you don't like the spring unwind mod.

I would recommend you do the G2 first, and make sure the throttle cable is adjusted properly, then ride a few weeks.Then -- if you want to do the spring unwind, you can.

The G2 install doesn't require any under the tank work, and is a very fast install (IMO).

The Spring change is a little more difficult (mostly getting to it), and is far more difficult to re-wind if you decide you don't like the spring unwind mod.
Thanks. That makes good sense. I think I understand now what Rondo777 meant when he said "You'll never know the benefit of the spring release unless you do it and there is no negative affect from doing the spring release." If do them both and don't like something I won't know which one I don't like.

Thanks again guys.

Just gonna do the G2

I think you will find that the two mods address two different situations. The spring mod attacks the extra tension felt by some riders in their hand.

The G2 takes away some of the jerky throttle response. While I have done both, I feel the biggest change comes from seat time and adjusting to the ways of the bike.

Good Luck.

I think you will find that the two mods address two different situations. The spring mod attacks the extra tension felt by some riders in their hand.The G2 takes away some of the jerky throttle response. While I have done both, I feel the biggest change comes from seat time and adjusting to the ways of the bike.

Good Luck.
Thanks Capt. Bob. That was what I was gathering from the forum and why I thought about going ahead and doing both. My impression of the bike jives with what others have said: I think the throttle is a little jerky at low RPM and it has a heavy feel. I'm better with it at times than others, but if there is a fix that can take away any mechanical reasons for the discomfort, I'm up for it. After all, even with a perfect bike I'm a way less than perfect rider no matter how much seat time I get. From what I can tell the way some folks ride around here would make my butt pucker so bad that after the end of a group ride I'd need a crowbar to pry me off the bike.