g2 ergonomics tamer tube installation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd.corley

Reaction score
just got g2 ergo tamer tube for my fjr1300ae. does anyone know how to remove the original tube from the grip w/o breaking the grip heating element? what lube should i use? if anybody has got step by step instructions on the installation, please tell me.

Thanks.

Most people use and air hose nozzle with the safety holes taped up and inject air in between the grip and tube. With heated grips be very careful. I don't have heated grips so I don't know if spraying a little dish detergent is the thing to do. Mixed with water I would think you could get a little in there.

Take your time it should come off slowly.

Air worked with mine, but at first you may find some grip glue holding it on. As a last resort, you can push something very small in to loosen it, like a jeweller's screwdriver or thin blade, and maybe only part way in will get you started. The idea is not to distort it too much so you don't break the heating wires buried in the rubber. The soap idea might work, but if you blow air and twist clockwise against the throttle stop, with a little patience it should break the glue and come off. I wouldn't recommend any solvents or WD40 as they may degrade the grip long term. When you reinstall, a thin line of RTV gasket maker will be sufficient to hold it in place, and be sure to align the power wire appropriately. Use air again to assist getting it back on.