G2 Ergonomics Vendor Participation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noland

Reaction score
Hello all,

As you may be aware, I have just recently purchased a new to me 07AE. I too have had issues with jerkiness, abrupt throttle opening, and smoothness. After researching the issue on this forum, I purchased a G2 Ergonomics Throttle Tube for the FJR and it has made a world of difference!

In the process of ordering, receiving, and evaluating the G2, I had the wonderful opprotunity to "meet' co-founder Gary Gibbs and discuss the FJR's issues and the G2 specifically. Gary and I hit it off well and we agreed that I would call back and offer info/input after having installed the G2. I did, and Gary has responded most graciously.

Basically I told Gary that while it made a wonderful difference, it seemed that the profile was not quite right. Gary informed me that the profile for the FJR specific cam is the "20%" cam. This cam has a lower profile, as most would agree, than stock however, the reduced profile is built into approximately 50% of the tubes travel. I had told Gary while that was most helpful, that perhaps the profile could be altered SPECIFICALLY FOR FJRs! For example, keep the 20% profile but for only 25% of its travel. Then perhaps have a linear profile at the next 25% leading to 50-100% throttle tube travel that would be linear. Again, for the 1st 1/4 pull of the throttle tube it is what we have all been using, the second 25% could be modified to come onto full profile which is achieved by 50% throttle pull in a linear fashion rather than a small profile leading into WFO.

That is probably a little confusing but I think you get the idea. After talking with Gary we agreed that I would post what we had talked about and ask for actual FJR owner input. While there have been Tech Days and the like, this would be a little different.

I will include Gary's e-mail address and those of you who participate, can provide design input directly to Gary as to what in your opinion should be done.

Also....

In the spirit of Tech Day, those of you who live in the 815 area code, (the area for most of the northern third of the state of Illinois, less the core of the Chicago metropolitan area and the area around Moline) and have an FJR WITH and WITHOUT the problem can contact Gary and arrange to meet him at G2 so he can RIDE YOUR FJR and experience ths issue for himself AND meet face to face with FJRForum members. (Insurance coverage for him riding your FJR is in place). A win-win! The idea here is the more of you who respond and perhaps attend, Gary can offer a date for this and perhaps it can be called a modified tech day. You always wanted to tell the designers and engineers what you would like - NOW IS YOUR CHANCE! With Gary taking the lead (thank you Gary and G2) then perhaps other vendors will follow.

So those of you who who participate, can you please indicate here if you have participated and also e-mail Gary with all of your input. The goal here is to build a better solution.

Gary's e-mail at G2 Ergonomics is [email protected].

Thanks in advance to all of those who participate.

P.S. I am no way connected to G2, I just would like to see a better solution if one can indeed be had.

The problem is that no single cam profile will work for all FJRs.

03-05 models had richer ECU settings and did not suffer from such abrupt off-idle throttle as later year models. Most of those owners feel no need for a different cam than stock.

06 Yamaha screwed up the throttle body cable pulley and created a very abrupt off-idle throttle. G2 Y400 cam works well.

07 Yamaha screwed up trying to fix the '06 problem and made it worse instead of better. G2 Y400 cam and PC-III combined are about the only real solution available.

08-up Yamaha fixed the throttle cable pulleys but as every year model has done, the ECU gets leaner. G2 Y200 works well on '08.

I've had email conversations and some brief phone conversation with the G2 folks in the past. Definitely good people to work with. IMO the most immediate need is to have a 100% Delrin G2 tube to replace the OEM. Unlike most of the other bikes that G2 deals with, the FJR handlebar is NOT hard-anodized but is instead powder-coated only. Even the strips/bands of Delrin included in the second generation G2, will severely groove the FJR handlebar over time.

I offered to test and distribute for testing, any new model G2 tubes they wanted to prototype. Never heard back from them again. Perhaps this thread will get their attention. Again, I'm not sure there is an easy, business-savvy solution here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ashe,

Now that is exactly what I'm talking about. Great Input. Gary has said he is committed and I hope others like you will offer input not only here but directly to Gary too.

Thanks!

03-05 models had richer ECU settings and did not suffer from such abrupt off-idle throttle as later year models. Most of those owners feel no need for a different cam than stock.

06 Yamaha screwed up the throttle body cable pulley and created a very abrupt off-idle throttle. G2 Y400 cam works well.

07 Yamaha screwed up trying to fix the '06 problem and made it worse instead of better. G2 Y400 cam and PC-III combined are about the only real solution available.

08-up Yamaha fixed the throttle cable pulleys but as every year model has done, the ECU gets leaner. G2 Y200 works well on '08.

I've had email conversations and some brief phone conversation with the G2 folks in the past. Definitely good people to work with. IMO the most immediate need is to have a 100% Delrin G2 tube to replace the OEM. Unlike most of the other bikes that G2 deals with, the FJR handlebar is NOT hard-anodized but is instead powder-coated only. Even the strips/bands of Delrin included in the second generation G2, will severely groove the FJR handlebar over time.

I offered to test and distribute for testing, any new model G2 tubes they wanted to prototype. Never heard back from them again. Perhaps this thread will get their attention. Again, I'm not sure there is an easy, business-savvy solution here.

Jeff, since as you point out the '08 models have the fixed pulleys, has anyone tried installing these on the say '07? Or this is going to be much more $$$ to achieve the same or similar results as using a G2 throttle tube? I guess at least until G2 comes out in 100% Delrin it would seem like the '08 pulleys would be a better solution?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts