G2 Throttle cam Installed!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale Franks

Reaction score
I installed the G2 Throttle tube/cam tonight. It's about a half-hour job for most people. It took me three hours. If you're interested in the details of my hideous shame, you can find the rundown here.

If not, a test ride convinced me that it is a fantastic solution for the throttle surge in the '06s and '07s. The throttle response is now perfectly smooth, linear, and predictable. No more throttle surging. It vastly improves the ability to handle the bike at low speeds, and makes throttle usage in cornering 1000% more predictable.

For you guys who've done this mode on the A model, you have no idea how much more fun it is to do on an AE.

I've put about 150 miles on mine since I did the switch, and I wholeheartedly concur. I'm amazed at how much different a beast it is. Took me less than 10 min to install <-- not bragging or anything, just not a difficult task IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
My bike is a Gen 1 ('05) and I've always thought its throttle response was too twitchy at parking lot speeds. I can't imagine how bad the Gen 2's must be if everybody is complaining about them and nobody is complaining about the Gen 1's. My cornering technique includes feathering the clutch to avoid issues with drive train backlash and twitchy throttle so that wasn't as much of an issue.

I didn't want to dive in for the cost of the G2 tube because I'm cheap and I wasn't positive it would fit so I used my Dremel to carefully re-profile the stock plastic tube so it's very similar to the G2.

Awesome results! :yahoo: Parking lot manuvers no longer require a surgeon's touch at the throttle! I'm probably also getting the added benefit of longer rear tire life and better fuel mileage too since throttle inputs in approximately the first 1/3 of its travel are more subdued. The mod probably cost me a several extra degrees of rotation to go from the idle position to WOT, but I'll gladly twist the wrist further occasionally to have the low-end benefit all the time.

G2 is the mutt's nuts-after trying to train my wrist for 1K miles I put the tube and cam on my '06 and the jerks gone...only problem was trying to get the heated grip off without ruining it-tried compressed air but that didn't work-mayhaps others are good at blowing it off.. A thin rod worked under the grip and rolled around the grip did the trick.. Why the hey did Yammie use that cam anyhew?

I find it amazing that none of the reviews of the bike in major magazines mentioned the abrupt throttle response. And thanks to forum members for bringing this fix to light.

I've been riding for 46 years--just about every kind of bike--and after 3000 miles of riding thought the FJR 06 was the most difficult bike I'd ever been on to ride smoothly and safely. The G2 throttle tube fixed the problem entirely. I'm glad I made the fix last year; this year's riding has been much more relaxed and pleasant.

I don't know if there are any long term effects, but I used window cleaner to get the grips off. Liquid lubricant that instantly evaporates once the grips are off. Made removal and install a breeze for me.

Sorry to double post, but I also wanted to point out to take up the slack in the throttle cable. After G2 and PCIII I was still getting a little throttle snatch but the bike was waaayyy better. I took the advice of others here and took all the slack out of the throttle cable and it is even better. Others here claim they have no issue with the stock throttle at all, but to me all three were worth it. Google search on the forum for G2, G2Ergo throttle tube, throttle snatch, and any related key words you can think of and you will find pages of testimonials.

Sorry to double post, but I also wanted to point out to take up the slack in the throttle cable. After G2 and PCIII I was still getting a little throttle snatch but the bike was waaayyy better. I took the advice of others here and took all the slack out of the throttle cable and it is even better. Others here claim they have no issue with the stock throttle at all, but to me all three were worth it. Google search on the forum for G2, G2Ergo throttle tube, throttle snatch, and any related key words you can think of and you will find pages of testimonials.
Now do the Barbarian Jumper Mod and the job will be complete. I did the BJM yesterday and it made as much difference as G2 and best of all it's FREE.

Now do the Barbarian Jumper Mod and the job will be complete. I did the BJM yesterday and it made as much difference as G2 and best of all it's FREE.
BJM is just a best guess without the proper equipment to sample co levels. PCIII accomplishes this with much finer resolution over RPM range. A lot of folks have said that the stock throttle was fine for them and I agree that taking the slack out of the cable would be an improvement, but with the G2 the there is a fairly noticable, positive improvement over stock. The throttle is a lot smoother. IMO

I've got 60 miles on my bike since a G2 was installed with the Honda heated grips. Vastly superior, but I'm hitting one problem that is repeatable: When I back off the throttle to shift, the RPM spins up 1-2K before settling back down. This is with the Pazzo levers and clutch in......... any ideas? The cables from the throttle were a little tight but I loosened them and they are slack at full throttle open and of course, closed. I did add some grip puppies and had to pull those puppies on hard. Any idea why the throttle would suddenly surge after twisting closed? Or is it just technique, as I have been off the bike for 6 months and I have to get used to the new setup? TIA.

But the G2 is awesome...no lag time at all.

I've got 60 miles on my bike since a G2 was installed with the Honda heated grips. Vastly superior, but I'm hitting one problem that is repeatable: When I back off the throttle to shift, the RPM spins up 1-2K before settling back down. This is with the Pazzo levers and clutch in......... any ideas? The cables from the throttle were a little tight but I loosened them and they are slack at full throttle open and of course, closed. I did add some grip puppies and had to pull those puppies on hard. Any idea why the throttle would suddenly surge after twisting closed? Or is it just technique, as I have been off the bike for 6 months and I have to get used to the new setup? TIA.
Not a mechanic...no Holiday Inn Express....throttle cable sticky and slack in throttle return cable? Just a guess. I do know that the Pazzo levers in the closest position does not fully disengage the clutch, so forward mementum of bike causng engine to surge in between gears? All guessed and no real experience to draw conclusions.

Not a mechanic...no Holiday Inn Express....throttle cable sticky and slack in throttle return cable? Just a guess. I do know that the Pazzo levers in the closest position does not fully disengage the clutch, so forward mementum of bike causng engine to surge in between gears? All guessed and no real experience to draw conclusions.
I noticed the throttle cable itself was routed a little tight, and I'll check that closer. Noticed the Pazzo lever didn't disengage fully at lowest two settings (for me) as I played with it and put it on position 3 and thought it was disengaging. I'll try putting it on "4" and see if there is a difference. Thanks. I'll start there.

I installed the G2 Throttle tube/cam tonight. It's about a half-hour job for most people. It took me three hours. If you're interested in the details of my hideous shame, you can find the rundown here.
If not, a test ride convinced me that it is a fantastic solution for the throttle surge in the '06s and '07s. The throttle response is now perfectly smooth, linear, and predictable. No more throttle surging. It vastly improves the ability to handle the bike at low speeds, and makes throttle usage in cornering 1000% more predictable.

For you guys who've done this mode on the A model, you have no idea how much more fun it is to do on an AE.
I agree. The AE was a bit of a challenge. I did it last week and ran into the same surprises as you, although with a bit of luck I got the grip off with air and soapy water in about 45 mins. Completed in about 1.5 hrs. and was worth every minute.

Latest posts