g2 throttle problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clubber

Reaction score
I've installed a G2 throttle and since then I've got way too much slack in the throttle. I tried adjusting the throttle cable at the point just below the grips but when I did it would die when I twisted the grip. So I pulled off the tank and tried putting a rubber shim on the other cable (I couldn't find anyway to adjust that cable) and same thing. I twist the throttle and either get a backfire or it dies. I love the new G2 but not the slack. Has anyone had this problem or do you know of a fix? I've searched some but it seems I'm the first to have this probem. Thanks for any help

Stan

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the opposite problem -- after the G2 Ergo Cam install, the cable was too tight. I had to loosen the cables to keep the throttle from a slow return.

I don't think I installed it wrong but if I did, wouldn't I have about 1/2 twist of play in it? It's about 20-30 degrees of play now. I figured that I'd just adjust the slack out of it but as I said, that made the bike run really bad. I guess this weekend I'll pull it apart and check it out.

There is an adjustment where the cable fits into the bracket at the throttle bodies, using a locknut below the cable, at least this is so on the Gen 1's. Set the upper adjustment to mid-point, adjust at the bracket, then use the upper adjuster to fine tune. Can't understand how a cable adjustment would make a motor die-but be aware the system is push pull, major adjustments in the "pull" require some adjustment of the "push" as well, which must be done at the lower bracket. Have you tried a search on the G2 here for other advice? A number of guys here have installed it.

Edit-all I have to go by here is a pic of the throttle cables from Yams parts diagram, the cable housing ends are threaded, so there should be some adjustment capability at the TB end.

There is considerable adjustment available at the throttle bodies, but regardless of the amount of slack, the bike shouldn't just pop and die. Something is amiss. Even installing the cables backward would simply "back" the throttle against the idle screw - causing nothing.

What else did you do besides install the throttle tube?

If I remember correctly there is no groove in the g2 cable cam. It is possible the cable is not on the cam, but riding on the tube itself, this would give a lot of cable slack. I have no idea why it would sputter or stall. Please let us know what you do find,

Good luck, Dave

Somehow it must be installed incorrectly. Here's a pix of the tube and cam. The cam does have a groove for the cable. Let us know what you find out?

tcsbaseimage01.jpg

I.M.H.O. He said that he pulled the tank and made adjustments to take up the slack in the cables. I would suggest making sure that the under tank connections elec. and fuel are OK. No hoses pinched or anything. Then take a look at what you adjusted down at the throttlebody side of things. Are you sure that nothing else was turned by accident. Did you maybe turn one of the airscrews by mistake. I did the g2 throttle on a gen 2 bike and there really(other than the cable being out of the groove) isn't anything topside to cause the bike to run shitty. Start with the tank stuff and then move to the throttle body.

Good luck.

The only reason I pulled the tank at all is because I couldn't get the cable slack out and still have it run right. I thought that I was possibly screwing up the TPS and that was causing the die'ing. However when I pulled the tank and shimmed the "push" cable it died too. So I pulled the tank again and removed the shim. I would have adjusted the push cable but I couldn't find an adjustment on it like the pull cable has in it.

I do appreciate how many people are helping on this. Thanks guys, I'll pull it apart sunday and report any findings then. As long as I have the "boatload of slack" it runs right so I'm pretty sure that the cables aren't reversed.

Stan

I finally pulled the bike apart and found the problem. The "push" cable wasn't in the cable housing properly.

On a related note; G2's customer service is kick ass. They told me if I didn'tt find the problem pulling it apart, they would refund my money or send me a new one immediately. They were all you could ask for. Thnaks for the help guys.

Stan C.

Other than cables, how is this part? I've heard from a direct source that teh tube is shorter than stock? Leaves some "soft" grip at teh outer edges?

The source was direct, but not 100% reliable.

Appreciate any comments, and I know, I know...I should do a search first to find previous posts, just don't have the time (patience).

Other than cables, how is this part? I've heard from a direct source that teh tube is shorter than stock? Leaves some "soft" grip at teh outer edges?
The source was direct, but not 100% reliable.

Appreciate any comments, and I know, I know...I should do a search first to find previous posts, just don't have the time (patience).
I didn't compare the G2 to the stock tube length, but I just installed the G2 and Honda heated grips on my bike and it all fit perfectly. The G2 tube is lined up with the end of the handlebar and the Honda grips are even with the G2 tube. The stock bar end fits like stock with no interference. I ended up modifying the much heavier Honda bar ends that come with the grip heater kit and using those. Sorry, I gotta ask my wife where she put the camera so I can post pics.

Forgot to mention. I did have a problem with the G2 tube on install. I used a very light lube at first, but the G2 would drag some on the stock throttle housing. I had to put some lithium grease on both sides of the G2 cam. Works great with positive throttle return even with the infamous center spring mod. And those grip heaters sure are nice on typical Seattle commuting days like this morning (45 degrees and drizzle).

I can confirm that the usual light lube that works well for the OEM nylon throttle tube, does not work well for the aluminum G2. Light lithium grease is the lubricant of choice for the G2 aluminum throttle tube.

The G2 does NOT have the cable grooves all the way around the cam, as does the OEM. So you should be a bit more careful of the install and make sure the cable is seated properly in the grooved areas that are there (partially around).