G2 Throttle Tamer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fergi

Reaction score
Just installed the G2 Throttle Tamer last night and what a difference! I can tell just from the ride in this morning that I'm really going to like it. It took all of 30 minutes (most of which was spent trying to switch grips from another bike). It completely changes the character of the "off-idle" performance. Well worth the time, effort, and money spent.

Thanks to everyone who recommended the G2!

Um, it's interesting you have such great results with a 2008 since the factory supposedly already addressed the issue in the 2008 model by correcting the throttle pulley.

The G2 on an ’08 will indeed have an affect on throttle response. The flat spot on the G2 cable pulley is intended to counter the eccentric FI rail pulley. Since the ‘08s has a round pulley the G2 will slow throttle response when the throttle cable is in the flattened area. It will now take more throttle twist to achieve minor speed changes. Now the issue becomes being able to twist the throttle from fully closed to fully open without having to reposition the throttle hand because of the extra travel.

Some people among both Gen I and Gen II may like the feel of the slowed throttle response.

Last edited by a moderator:
The G2 on an ’08 will indeed have an affect on throttle response. The flat spot on the G2 cable pulley is intended to counter the eccentric FI rail pulley. Since the ‘08s has a round pulley the G2 will slow throttle response when the throttle cable is in the flattened area. It will now take more throttle twist to achieve minor speed changes. Now the issue becomes being able to twist the throttle from fully closed to fully open without having to reposition the throttle hand because of the extra travel.
Some people among both Gen I and Gen II may like the feel of the slowed throttle response.
I only have 30 miles on it since the change but I enjoy the higher resolution off idle. I don't think I'll change my mind.

Glad I didn't know they had already fixed the problem on the '08.

Oh

... Now the issue becomes being able to twist the throttle from fully closed to fully open without having to reposition the throttle hand because of the extra travel....
I put a G2 on my '04 and love it. However, I didn't realize that I must now deliberately choose to engage WEP. Way cool.

Last edited by a moderator: