Garauld Luggage Rack

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikesniffer

Reaction score
I have Garauld's large rack and the MotoFizz bag does not quite fit on it. :rolleyes:

Anybody out there interested in a proportional larger rack so it would accommodate the large MotoFizz bag?

The new rack should be about 2.5inches longer with the same shape like the one I have. This ensures that the base of the bag is sitting on the rack rather than hanging off with a few inches.

If Garauld could chime in for feasibility and willingness to make such a rack?

Alfred

I have Garauld's large rack and the MotoFizz bag does not quite fit on it. :rolleyes:
Anybody out there interested in a proportional larger rack so it would accommodate the large MotoFizz bag?

The new rack should be about 2.5inches longer with the same shape like the one I have. This ensures that the base of the bag is sitting on the rack rather than hanging off with a few inches.

Alfred
Be careful of too much weight on the rear subframe. I have a small Gaurauld rack; but I mount my large motofizz bag longitudinally, with heavier items in the bag centered over the passenger seat. I find putting some soft clothing at the very end allows me to use the bag as a relatively comfy backrest if I lean back just a tad. I find this configuration centers the weight on the bike more "naturally" and effects handling less than running the bag as intended: perpendicular to the bike and over the side cases and pillion seat. YMMV.

Here is a shot from BC that shows how I use it:

484.jpg

Alfred
Be careful of too much weight on the rear subframe. I have a small Gaurauld rack; but I mount my large motofizz bag longitudinally, with heavier items in the bag centered over the passenger seat. I find putting some soft clothing at the very end allows me to use the bag as a relatively comfy backrest if I lean back just a tad. I find this configuration centers the weight on the bike more "naturally" and effects handling less than running the bag as intended: perpendicular to the bike and over the side cases and pillion seat. YMMV.

484.jpg

Thanks Shiny for sharing, that's a good idea.

Just looked at my rack from Gary and it has a crossbar (not backrest) on the front side thus preventing the bag to be placed like yours on the bike...

Seatsniffer ( :rolleyes: ):

Mine has a removable backrest and is the "sporty" tubular frame model. I should have mentioned that. When the wife or kids want an occassional ride it goes on with two bolts. Otherwise I have a clean looking install the rest of the time. If you go with this type of arrangement, you'll note I use painters tape (I'm frugal) to protect Gary's gorgeous matching paint when on tours. Unfortunately, the bag rubbed through this past summer and a have a couple bare metal spots. Use heavier protection or add tape (as I did more diligently in 2008 with no damage to the rack) every once in a while where you see scuffing. An added bonus is the straps fall easily away from the exhaust without much effort. Straps also are easy on/off with a little practice and you always know the rear straps because they are the short ones. Hope this helps you or somebody sometime.

EDIT: I reread your post and I'm not sure what you meant by a "crossbar", but mine has a @ 1" raised piece of bar stock Gary welded on that the backrest bolts to. The bar is protected with several layers of tape and the bag just lays over it. The tape peels off after the tour and the rack is good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mount mine side-to-side, half on the stock rack and half on the back seat. It's okay, but a Garauld rack would be better.

fjrmotofizz.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Alfred

484.jpg
Gary told me that I can take the crossbar off with a careful hacksaw job...

How much weight can one put safely on the rear rack without worrying to crack the subframe?