Garauld racks (and yes I've spoken to him)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duster19

Reaction score
I want to know what you all think is best rack for my 04. Not sure how often my wife will even ride with me, but I know she will want the backrest if she does. I also like the fact of being able to use it for tying down things too. I kind of like the looks of Gen II regular. I don't think the mini is big enough, but you tell me if you think it is. The Gen I version is also nice. I plan on going with clamp option (unless you tell me why not).

Anyways, I have searched and really haven't found anything that talks about pros and cons...just that that everyone loves them all.

Dave

PS.. Not sure how to add pics (I'll look into it) but Gary sent me pics of the 3 models.

I want to know what you all think is best rack for my 04. Not sure how often my wife will even ride with me, but I know she will want the backrest if she does. I also like the fact of being able to use it for tying down things too. I kind of like the looks of Gen II regular. I don't think the mini is big enough, but you tell me if you think it is. The Gen I version is also nice. I plan on going with clamp option (unless you tell me why not).
Duster,

I have Gary's mini rack on my 06. It supports a soft side cooler very well and I personally prefer large racks on women, not bikes. I have added a backrest to the rack (not from Gary) and it has been well recieved by my passengers. You can't go wrong with either style from Gary but you know that already. The larger rack would be (IMHO) the way to go if you are interested in mounting a tail bag for additional storage. For me, the mini looks great as is and has the funtion I personally need.

Good Luck.

Duster,

I have Gary's mini rack on my 06. It supports a soft side cooler very well and I personally prefer large racks on women, not bikes. I have added a backrest to the rack (not from Gary) and it has been well recieved by my passengers. You can't go wrong with either style from Gary but you know that already. The larger rack would be (IMHO) the way to go if you are interested in mounting a tail bag for additional storage. For me, the mini looks great as is and has the funtion I personally need.

Good Luck.

Thanks for your input. I do like above average racks on my lady. :)

here is a Garauld rack on my '05. My wife really likes it and it comes off in as little time it takes to unscrew one screw and back on as easily.

Dang that is a good looking bike in the picture.

100-0055_IMG.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just went through this same process and ultimately ordered the mini. Reason? Looks. The mini looks better on the bike, IMHO. For me, a need to carry more gear than 2 side cases, a (very) large tank bag, and the mini rack will hold implies that I will be taking a long distance trip. That further implies that I will be taking that trip alone. The addition of a seat bag to hold any extra gear will suffice in those situations without sacrificing aesthetics.

here is a Garauld rack on my '05. My wife really likes it and it comes off in as little time it takes to unscrew one screw and back on as easily.
Dang that is a good looking bike in the picture.

100-0055_IMG.jpg
All I see is a backrest attached to the factory rack. Where's the rack you speak of?

GP

Looky what I've got coming..! :yahoo: I just got an email from Garauld (Gary) letting me know the rack is on its way. It's the Gen II mini rack powder coated dark gray metallic to match the lower engine case covers. The silver metallic/dark red metallic/dark gray metallic contrast on the tail ought to look really nice..!

FJRMiniRack.jpg

I went with the smaller rack on my GENII for aesthetics. I also figured the weight limitations that others have exceeded (and subsequently found cracked subframes) was something to avoid. A smaller rack allows lightweight items to be bungeed on, like sleeping bag and tent, but keeps me reminded to keep the weight light back there. I use the Garauld removable backrest for when riding with the wife, or when traveling, as an attachment point for some soft luggage. When solo for extended periods I take the backrest off and keep a clean, small but still usable rack on. That versatility works well for me but others will have different requirements.

Look at the bright side. Buy and try one. If it doesn't float your boat, sell it here (somebody will buy it) and have Gary make you a different version.........

I went with geraulds one piece large rack with backrest. It really isan't that big. It holds a small cooler perfectly. SO loves it and rides more because of it. I also prefer the one piece. It is stronger and looks cleaner with the welded reinforcing versus nuts and bolts.

Leo