Garauld tail cones

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubabiker

Reaction score
I'm not much for accessories that don't serve a purpose, but I do appreciate a well made product. While at SFO I saw some of the tail cones Garauld makes to fit the end of the FJR mufflers. My Dad attended with me and bought me a set for my birthday. I must admit, I'm quite taken with them. They're one of the first things I look at when I walk out to the bike. Beautifully machined and finished, they fit great. I found the installation very quick and easy. They've added a slight "burble" to the exhaust note at idle. As far as increasing mileage, horsepower or comfort, they are about a useless as the chrome on a Harley. But I like 'em. Hope I'm not going to the dark side. If I put anything with fringes on my bike, just shoot me. I got them in basic black that goes with anything. Now when I look at an FJR without them, it looks unfinished. :good: to Gaurald (Gary) for his craftsmanship.

A couple of riders have mentioned the burgle. Mine has it also. I think it sounds like a trick cam in the engine. I believe it's from negative pressure waves interacting with the gap between the tailcones and the center exhaust pipe. I am experimenting with a filler piece to close the gap and try to eliminate the burgle in case anyone didn't care for the burgle.

Is it just at idle, or does it sound interesting under load?

I think a little burble gets people thinking what's cooking under there.... ;)

Is it just at idle, or does it sound interesting under load?
I think a little burble gets people thinking what's cooking under there.... ;)
I only notice it at idle. And it's subtle at best. The new sound doesn't move me one way or the other, it's just slightly different. I just love the look. Nobody but another FJR owner would probably notice them as not being stock. But who cares, if I wanted to show stuff off, I'd have a Harley. I like 'em and that's all that counts in my garage.

As posted on another thread, our R&D dept has fixed it so it sounds normal and all new ones will be "burgleless". :huh: Also, if you already have a set and wish not to hear the "burgling", send me a PM and I will send you a set of inserts to cure it. The fix is to remove the tailcones, insert the inserts and reinstall the tailcones.