Garauld's Rack and Backrest

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaitsdad

I'm confused - Just ask my Wife.
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
All,

Way back in May of 2006, I posted this - Garauld's Rack for the 06

Since that time, Gary has made changes to the original design to accommodate the concurrent use of a backrest.

Well, mine arrived yesterday, and installed today. I still have the first version rack - I use it to hang my tail tank.

However, the current production design is a huge improvement - I went for the black satin powdercoat. Beautiful stuff. The workmanship is incredible.

Hand made, one at a time, Gary turns these out - and he does not compromise on quality. That may be why it takes a while to get one of these. He makes them to order.

And so, Wonky has graduated - she now has a functional rack and backrest combo - and today, I had my wife on the bike FOR THE FIRST TIME !!! And she loved it. Due in part, no doubt, to the secure feeling she got from having that backrest in place.

Here's some pics:

133770839-L.jpg

133770921-L.jpg

I know that many posts have been placed about Garauld's rack/backrest combo - but I gotta tell ya - I work with a lot of engineer types (yes, I are one) and the comments I got about his original rack will be superseded by the comments I'll get on this setup.

Craftsmanship.

My dad learned cabinet making from the Pennsylvania Dutch back before WWII - and he turned out some stuff that was exquisite. This is the caliber of workmanship that Gary puts into this product. Measure twice, cut once.

Kudos, Gary.

Muy, muy, nice stuff.

:clapping:

(edited to improve readability)

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to add my two pennies to Kaitsdad's excellent photos and post. I received the same exact setup Friday, except mine is painted '06 blue to match the tail. Fit and Finish are perfect, and I too am excited at the way the new design looks on the bike esthetically, and my soft luggage fits on the rack easily.

I took her out for a spin on backroads and there was absolutely no change in hadling one up in twisties going up to 80; on the straights up to 130 mph I didn't see any problems with stability. At 135 there was the slightest fishtail sensation, but that could be the road, my paying special attention to the handling due to the mod., my imagination or possibly the relatively new Avon Storms (though I don't think that is the reason for the sensation).

I took the wife on a short ride today and she was far more comfy and wasn't up my back fearing she was going to fall off. As a consequence, I had more room, and handling was much better. She says she will now go on a long ride with me, and she has refused till now. She says the pad initially looked too small for comfort to her, but she was supported in the small of her back perfectly, and declined my offer to have it changed... and I can detach the backrest for a cleaner look between two-up rides.

Bottom line, I have no idea why I waited so long to order one, and waiting the several months for Gary to do his magic was well worth it. This is the best farkle (maybe Ian's sliders are a close second) I have put on the bike.

I am 100% happy with every aspect of Gary's "hobby". A public thank-you Gary.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Shiny, I have had the same rack and backrest for 6 mo. in blue as well. It is a piece of art and very functional.

BTW, the bike is still rock steady at let's say "at speed".

I don't have my bike home yet so i'm not able to see the way it is scured to the machine/frame? My question guy's is,... What is a reasonable weight limit.....Just thinking my RTB500 on there might be up round 30+ lbs. Do the rack bolts go into the rear subframe?

-Don

Did you post anything on that LD license plate frame?

Inquiring minds need to know! :D

V GER, if you are referring to the ... ah......

funny looking blocky thingie under the tail light..

That just happens to have what APPEARS to be a fuel cap on it ......

Well..... that doesn't exist yet. OK ? You didn't see that picture. :ph34r:

Right?

Right.

There will be a post regarding what you THINK you see somewheres around mid to late April ..

;)

KaitsDad - that looks pretty sweet.. just in time too... :rolleyes:

que in music 'so get on your bad motosyckle and ride..' :yahoo:

Got my rack/backrest combo from Gary last week. The rumors are true! The quality of Gary's work is unbelievable. In my case, I had a special request to use a larger backrest that is closer to the passenger and thus needed to be permanently welded to the rack for better support. Looking at the rack, you'd think it was built by an expensive professional fabricator. Gary was great in paying attention to what I wanted and delivered an excellent quality product that surpassed my expectations. Mine is the black powdercoat like Kaitsdad's and looks amazing! Hoping to take the wife for a ride to try it out today.

Kudo's to Gary and the wait was well worth it!!

Hal, let's go for a ride!!! (I'm one of the engineers that works with Kaitsdad)

Tony

I don't have my bike home yet so i'm not able to see the way it is scured to the machine/frame? My question guy's is,... What is a reasonable weight limit.....Just thinking my RTB500 on there might be up round 30+ lbs. Do the rack bolts go into the rear subframe?
-Don
I have one of Gary's racks as well. It is funny that you ask about the weight limit. I ask this same exact question a while back.

On some trips, that my wife and I have taken, I have been carrying right at 30lbs on my rack.

Gary's rack is more than strong enough to carry the weight but it does bolt to the subframe and the subframe seems to be the weak link. There have been some problems with subframe cracking but mostly from those with top boxes. I don't know if it was a weight issue or if it is because the top boxes sit so far back that they apply too much leverage to the subframe. Gary's rack seems to sit closer in and not apply near as much leverage.

I have been keeping a close eye on my subframe since this was brought to my attention. So far everything look great. I do not anticipate any problems with the 30lbs on Gary's rack. But it is worth watching.

-Don
I have one of Gary's racks as well. It is funny that you ask about the weight limit. I ask this same exact question a while back.

On some trips, that my wife and I have taken, I have been carrying right at 30lbs on my rack.

Gary's rack is more than strong enough to carry the weight but it does bolt to the subframe and the subframe seems to be the weak link. There have been some problems with subframe cracking but mostly from those with top boxes. I don't know if it was a weight issue or if it is because the top boxes sit so far back that they apply too much leverage to the subframe. Gary's rack seems to sit closer in and not apply near as much leverage.

I have been keeping a close eye on my subframe since this was brought to my attention. So far everything look great. I do not anticipate any problems with the 30lbs on Gary's rack. But it is worth watching.
How can I reach Gary to get one and does he make them for the 05s?

I'd suggest a PM to Garauld. He is the man with the plan, and can answer all your questions. As I recall, he does make a very nice rack for the Gen 1 bikes as well.

I have never read a comment from an unhappy customer of his... that is exceptional!

Don