Garman Quest

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frayne

Reaction score
Just finished reading the thread about low end GPSs and wanted to add my two cents concerning my recent purchase of a reconditioned Quest 1 unit.

DSCN1409.jpg

Pros

Price was right, about $190, still have the Garman one year warrenty.

I opted for the ram ball mounting system, total cost approx. $75 for all the hardware. It can also be used for other devices.

Unit set up was intuitive and Mapsourse software was easy to load. I loaded four states and still had plenty of memory left.

Twenty hours of memory, no 12V adapter, wires, etc. to hook up or mess with.

Size, is small enough to put in my pocket when I get off my bike to gas up, eat, or use the little boys room, no worry about someone with sticky fingers lifting it.

Buttons easy to use even with gloves on.

Plenty of features and functionality.

Ability to upload your route.

Cons

Screen takes some getting use to reading while riding. Screen is small but with zoom abilities it is workable. I don't think a bigger screen would make that much difference for me.

Other

This is my first GPS and I didn't want to spend over a couple hundred bucks. I also read many reviews and almost opted for the Garman 2610. After having the unit for a couple of weeks it is meeting and exceeding what I expected in a GPS unit. And trust me, the Quest can take a water soaking and keep working just fine.

Hope this helps anyone interested in the Garman Quest. To sum up, easy on the wallet, easy to mount, easy to use, easy to slip in your pocket and take it with you, and long battery life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished reading the thread about low end GPSs and wanted to add my two cents concerning my recent purchase of a reconditioned Quest 1 unit.
DSCN1409.jpg

Pros

Price was right, about $190, still have the Garman one year warrenty.

I opted for the ram ball mounting system, total cost approx. $75 for all the hardware. It can also be used for other devices.

Unit set up was intuitive and Mapsourse software was easy to load. I loaded four states and still had plenty of memory left.

Twenty hours of memory, no 12V adapter, wires, etc. to hook up or mess with.

Size, is small enough to put in my pocket when I get off my bike to gas up, eat, or use the little boys room, no worry about someone with sticky fingers lifting it.

Buttons easy to use even with gloves on.

Plenty of features and functionality.

Ability to upload your route.

Cons

Screen takes some getting use to reading while riding. Screen is small but with zoom abilities it is workable. I don't think a bigger screen would make that much difference for me.

Other

This is my first GPS and I didn't want to spend over a couple hundred bucks. I also read many reviews and almost opted for the Garman 2610. After having the unit for a couple of weeks in is meeting and exceeding what i expected in a GPS unit. And trust me, the Quest can take a water soaking and keep working just fine.

Hope this helps anyone interested in the Garman Quest. To sum up, easy on the wallet, easy to mount, easy to use, easy to slip in your pocket and take it with you, and long battery life.
I've had mine for since 12/04. Got it when it first came out, except it wasn't any $190, it was $600! It has performed flawlessly! Does everthing I need it to do! The battery life and size sold me! Just upgraded to "City Navigator North America 2008". For $190 for this GPS, you can not beat it!

I got a Garmin C330 as a birthday present, and then a few weeks later a free Quest as a safety award through work. Love them both, and now rely on them probably more than I should. Don't even carry maps anymore, and that's asking for trouble.....

I ended up spending a little for a stem mount but the price was right!