Garmin 2610

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radman

R.I.P. Our Motorcycling Friend
Reaction score
As funds are limited, this looks like a real possibility for me. In these days of $1000 gps purchases, will the $330 I spend on one of these be a worthwhile investment?

I've used my 2610 for over a year and a half and really enjoy it and at that price I don't think you could go wrong. All the newer units are more expensive but the 2610 will do all the important things just about as well. If you haven't used a GPS on your bike before I would suggest that you do a left side mount on the handle bar. I tried the right side but found the left worked much better for me. If you need anything to get it hooked up try cyclegadgets.com. They are really great people and Sean is very knowledgeable on GPS's. Hope this helps. RIDE SAFE

I've used my 2610 for over a year and a half and really enjoy it and at that price I don't think you could go wrong. All the newer units are more expensive but the 2610 will do all the important things just about as well. If you haven't used a GPS on your bike before I would suggest that you do a left side mount on the handle bar. I tried the right side but found the left worked much better for me. If you need anything to get it hooked up try cyclegadgets.com. They are really great people and Sean is very knowledgeable on GPS's. Hope this helps. RIDE SAFE
Thanks. Currently have a GPSIII that is better than nothing, just barely.

As funds are limited, this looks like a real possibility for me. In these days of $1000 gps purchases, will the $330 I spend on one of these be a worthwhile investment?
great machine. no complaints on the gps. bought a 2730 to replace it cuz it has mp3 and xm radio in the same box allowing significant reduction in cockpit clutter. ex. value.

Yo, Radmeister! Where are you scoring that price?
Ebay has quite a few that are new and nicely priced.

great machine. no complaints on the gps. bought a 2730 to replace it cuz it has mp3 and xm radio in the same box allowing significant reduction in cockpit clutter. ex. value.
If I had the dough, a 2730 would be on the mount in a nanosecond, just isn't possible for a while.

I've used one for a little over 2 years and for that kind of money you can't possibly go wrong. Get a 2 gig compact flash card and version 8 of the maps and load up the whole country and you are good to go.

During last year's IBR I saved time at one very important bonus by doing a fastest time and shortest distance route calc on the fly and then combining the results. Got me to the Cape Disappointment lighthouse before dark and bypassed both Seattle and Portland rush hour traffic.

Go for it!

I've had mine for over a year... and am quite happy with it. The monitor screen does get somewhat washed out in direct sunlight compared to the newer ones, but not to the point that you can't read the screen. Redraw speed and routing work great, I've used it in both the car and on the bike...

If I had the world of GPS receivers to pick from, I'd probably get one that integrated an XM receiver to reduce the number of "things" on the bike, and would like a bigger screen. Other than that, I'm pretty happy, and that's a good price.

It's what I have, and it has served me well, but I also heard they aren't weather-tight.

Why not save your coin for springtime, by then you could afford a 2730. I mean, since you won't be riding much anyway until then, right?

I like mine....but since I have Navigator 6.2 its time to upgrade since many roads (and changes) aren't on the 2 year old program.

Sounds like a righteous price, just watch out for reports that Garmin won't support units bought from "other than a dealer". At that price, it may not matter to you.

It's what I have, and it has served me well, but I also heard they aren't weather-tight.
Why not save your coin for springtime, by then you could afford a 2730. I mean, since you won't be riding much anyway until then, right?
I would, but the only way I can pull this off is to get it as a Xmas present, see, that way "I" didn't buy it. A 2730 is just too much, no matter how I con her er, how much she adores me. This way, I have some room for all the money next years tours cost. Me and Frank gonna be busy it looks like.... ;)

I like mine....but since I have Navigator 6.2 its time to upgrade since many roads (and changes) aren't on the 2 year old program.
Sounds like a righteous price, just watch out for reports that Garmin won't support units bought from "other than a dealer". At that price, it may not matter to you.

That's pure poppycock...Garmin has one hell of a great support program...I bought my 2610 off of Ebay, in used condition...had it 6 months, and the screen starting "de-laminating" ...called Garmin, told them I had a used unit, and they gave me an RMA number and replaced the unit...GREAT SUPPORT!!

I've had one for about a year - bought it used.

replace the disk drive with a 2 gb card - and no worries. As far as I know they are milspec waterproof to something like 30 feet for a certain amount of time. Only problem I've had is with the power cord not sticking into the receptacle properly (power cord problem ... not the gps).

I had an original Street Pilot prior (still have it).

My only complaint is that it doesn't have an internal battery. hardwire it and that is not a problem (unless you use a switched source).

there are a couple of things I like on the street pilot better, but probably because I have 100+k experience with it. Maps and routing features are great. It does have a nasty habit of trying to keep me on I-5 when I don't want to be there (yes... I've set preferences) and like all gps's it will give you a "unique" route once in awhile much different than "local knowledge" would have routed you. But that goes with them all.

For the price you can't do wrong with it.

the only other problem is that it is already outdated (like your -and mine - computer). But it will serve you well for years to come.

oh - there is another small problem that freeked me out the first time. After a rain or heavy dew when I turned it on - it wouldn't pan properly. Actually, wouldn't really work. Turns out that all I had to do was clean the screen a bit. A bit of spooge makes it think that you are constantly touching it. Kind of sensitive touch screen. A wipe with a cloth will solve the problem, though it will make you think it is broken the first time.

I even did a search for "points of Interest" for MAN BOOBS - and your address popped up.

Who would have known????????

I've had mine for a year now and I think its great. Very fast route recalculation and it makes motorcycling alot more fun. Now I don't have to have stuff written on my hand or constantly be looking for the next turn. Never had any problems finding motels or gas stations. Lots of features.

IMGP0027.jpg

IMGP0026.jpg

IMGP0082.jpg

The quick disconnect cradle that Garmin has is well worth the money, for when you want to take the GPS in the car.

Radman,

That is a good price on the 2610. However, I would save a few more coins and buy the 2720 from WalMart. Their current price (online only) is $595.

For the difference you will get all the maps preloaded (no need to worry about buying more memory like with the 2610) and you will get a far superior screen.

VM

Had mine 2 seasons and I like it. Memory cards don't bother me. Just buy a big enough one the first time. Never lost just a little miss placed sometimes. :lol:

Radman,

While it isn't a 2610, I do have a 2002 SPIII that I don't use any more that you can have and it you can save the funds to get what you want.

Let me know.

Best Regards,

Shane