Garmin 2720/Loading new ver maps Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimLor

Reaction score
The wait for tech help at Garmin is now 30 – 35 minutes so I thought I’d ask for help here. I have a Garmin 2720. I got the free upgrade to ver 8 map software. Loaded the software on my computer and after some jacking around got the unlock code. My question – how do I upgrade my “unit” to the ver 8 vice the loaded ver 7? I seem to recall that there may be a point in the load program to the computer where it asks if you want to upgrade the unit – but to be honest I don’t recall and didn’t have the unlock code at the time so that has passed. Side note – I find the documentation isn’t all that helpful! I did copy some state maps from ver 8 and load them on the “unit,” but I want to replace ver 7 and the ver 8 maps I loaded with ver 8 complete.

Can I uninstall ver 8 off my computer and then reinstall (assuming the unit upgrade dialog box will come up) – and, I “assume” that the unlock code will work again if I uninstall/install the program? Or is there a way to upload ver 8 and replace what’s on the unit from the already installed ver 8 software (on the computer)? If there is I sure can’t find it by reading the mapping guide, help guide, or just clicking around the doggone program.

And a comment, I find using the "unit" to be pretty intuitive - but what's up with the damn mapping software - that isn't intuitive or user friendly (MY OBSERVATION).

Thanks, I appreciate the help!

Jim,

I did it on my Quest2 when the new software came out and it seemed pretty easy. Did you go through the MyGarmin website?

Also, check this post on another forum. Sounds similar to your situation. note: in that post, the url is not www.mygarmin.com...it's actually https://my.garmin.com if you haven't gone there yet to register your unit, you should. i did and maybe that's why it went pretty easy for me.

Jim,

I upgraded from ver.7 to ver. 8 a couple of months ago on my 2730 so my recollection is "sketchy". IIRC after ver. 8 installed on the computer, the program asked if I wanted to upgrade the unit. Did you have the GPS connected (turned on and in USB mode)when you did the upgrade? Perhaps the software senses its presence. I think I'd just try to re-install the software with the unit connected and without un-installing the newly installed version 8 on your computer. The software most likely will see it already exists and hopefully move onto the install of ver.8 in your 2720. I'm certainly no Garmin software guru, but I think this is the approach I'd take. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks sgoat - I'll give that a shot tonight. If that doesn't work I'll try the uninstall/reinstall with the unit attached.

Thanks again.

sgoat - just updated my GPS. Worked like you suggested - attached GPS and turned it on, loaded the Ver 8 DVD - ran the install (modify) until the do you want to update the GPS dialog came up and then went from there. Thanks!

sgoat - just updated my GPS. Worked like you suggested - attached GPS and turned it on, loaded the Ver 8 DVD - ran the install (modify) until the do you want to update the GPS dialog came up and then went from there. Thanks!
Glad that worked for you!