Garmin 2720 mounting ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

not2shabby

Reaction score
I did a search and so far I like the Ram mount that bolts to the clutch/brake housing. Any drawbacks to this setup?

I scored the Garmin off fleabay earlier and thought I got a good deal for $151....then an hour later I saw a couple go for $113 and $120....grrrrr! Oh well, after watching them for a month or so and seeing most of them go for over $200, I guess it's not a bad deal. It comes with everything except the owner's manual.

I did a search and so far I like the Ram mount that bolts to the clutch/brake housing. Any drawbacks to this setup?I scored the Garmin off fleabay earlier and thought I got a good deal for $151....then an hour later I saw a couple go for $113 and $120....grrrrr! Oh well, after watching them for a month or so and seeing most of them go for over $200, I guess it's not a bad deal. It comes with everything except the owner's manual.
I bought the N\line shelf and mounted my 2730 on it using a RAM cradle, brings the screen up closer to my line of sight. I thought the RAM ball down near the handle bars would be too low for me.

I mounted my 2610 there (same form factor), have had no problems. It's further away and higher in my eyeline than a stem mount, to my eye it's the same height as the guages. (The picture was taken with the camera sitting on the top case for stability. My stock windshield clears it, but my wider Cee Bailey will touch it if it's all the way down, which I never use with that shield. The mount survived a left-side lowside, the GPS remained on the bike, although the RAM ball unscrewed a quarter turn.

Viewfromtopboxzoomed.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm kinda partial to the TechMount. Makes for a very clean install.
+1. I'm right handed and, with it being in the middle of the bike, it's easier for me to hit the buttons with the throttle lock on while riding (not outlawed in any states yet) with my right hand than to try to be ambidex.. ambudex... uh use left hand as good as my right hand or do the reach across.

I"ve got the 2720 ($100 off of craigslist, used but in original box with all the stuff) and put it on the RAM clutch mount. I'm pretty happy with it. I have the Jensen radio on the steering nut RAM, so this works out well for me.

For those that have the RAM ball mounts and these 26xx,27xx style GPSs, do you have a problem with them moving around on the ball and stem due to it's weight or the pressure of your finger against the screen at all? I'm torn between doing a RAM ball mount, or finding a way to use strong velcro and a standard base and attach it to the top of the clutch reservoir. I've ruled out the shelf because my arms are short enough and trying to get to something on the shelf will NEVER work. (although I may keep the shelf on for other uses - XM receiver, put a box to store my disc-brake lock and/or a kickstand plate for soft turf, etc.)

Alexi

Never had it move on the RAM mount, as long as you've got it tightened down adequately. Same for the radio. Only moves when you loosen it up.

It unscrewed a quarter turn or so when I lowsided that one time, just from the weight wanting to go THAT WAY >>>>>, but nothing came off the bike. In normal use it's never moved.

I have my 2720 in a Gadget Guy case. A wee bit costly but absolutely precision made to stay 'permanently' on the bike. Pilfer proof. No more taking off at piss stops or even overnight at motels. Check out gadgetguy.net

Out of curiosity, outside of the IPX-7 rating, what does the 2720 do that a Nuvi 780 can't?

27xx is older, and my 2730 was $185 new with warrantee and without the traffic antenna. My 2720 was $150, used slightly. I can hold 50 routes, and many thousands of POI. Very happy with it, talks to me through the Starcom1, so I don't need to watch the screen every second with a turn coming up.

See for yourself:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=...areProduct=6387