Garmin 2730 GPS owners I need some install Help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lacofdfireman

Reaction score
So I bought me one of these nice Garmin 2730 GPS's for my bike and when out to install and it seemed basic but I have a few questions.

First off about the GPS. I want to activate the XM radio. It came with the antenna so I am wondering can I hook use the antenna to be mobile from car to Motorcycle? I figured I could just Velcro the antenna somewhere on the bike then be able to take it from bike to car? Will this work?

Second, Only slot I have left in my Starcom Advanced is what appears to be a Remote Port? I have currently plugged in from L to R, Phone, Ipod, Nothing then Radar. Can I use this Remote input for the GPS? Also the GPS came with a power cord and an Audio jack but it's not a regular size headphone jack. What are you doing for your audio cord going from the GPS to your Starcom? Is this another one of those special cords I need to buy from Jeff at Bike Effects?

Here is a photo of my Starcom showing the available inputs and the ones currently in use.

IMG_2580.jpg

If anyone can give me some insite to either of these questions it would be greatly appreciated. I would like to get this wired up tomorrow at work if possible..... Thanks again. I love this board.

Talk to Jeff at BikeEffects.com, he'll hook you up with the splitter you need to run what you want to run. I currently use the headphone jack on the 2730 into my old XM radio cable. works well.

Remote is where you would hook up a remote volume control. That won't work for you.

You will want to put the GPS audio into the port that you currently have the RD plugged into: AUX. That way either the RD or the GPS will have priority over your music. To do that you are going to have to share that port (assuming you want to retain the fuzz buster). Since you will be powering the GPS from the bike, you'll need an isolation cable for the audio hookup or you'll get feedback (buzzing).

My guess is that you'll want to run through the splitter first, then isolation cable to the Starcom1. Check with Jeff (or Starcom) to see what they recommend regarding splitters. There may be an impedance problem if you split the input, or so I have heard. I've not tried it as I don't have an RD.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 ditch the i pod use the 2730 mp3 you need a mic1 isolated cable from the mic output to the starcom audio port

I have the same setup on my 2820 and works great If you do have a problem Jeff is da man with this stuff!

+1 ditch the i pod use the 2730 mp3 you need a mic1 isolated cable from the mic output to the starcom audio portI have the same setup on my 2820 and works great If you do have a problem Jeff is da man with this stuff!
2820 is different. (I have one). 2820 has BT to the phone. 2730 does not. No need for a mike cable.

Either of these has limited space for MP3's. Still a need for an MP3 player unless you like hearing the same songs repeated every XX hours or so (too lazy to figure it out). See my prior post on cabling

I talked with Jeff today. I was having a different issue and wanted to confirm what cables to install with my 2730. He said use the MUS-04 cable from the audio out jack on the 2730 and plug into the audio jack of the Starcom 1. I haven't tried the MP3 built into the 2730 yet, but I intend to for back up when the XM signal is weak.

If you run a RD then plug it into the Aux jack.

And Jeff is the man :clapping: give him a call if you have questions.

I talked with Jeff today. I was having a different issue and wanted to confirm what cables to install with my 2730. He said use the MUS-04 cable from the audio out jack on the 2730 and plug into the audio jack of the Starcom 1. I haven't tried the MP3 built into the 2730 yet, but I intend to for back up when the XM signal is weak.
If you run a RD then plug it into the Aux jack.

And Jeff is the man :clapping: give him a call if you have questions.
Called Jeff yesterday and he has all the appropriate cables in the mail to me already. Thanks Jeff for your excellent customer support.

Latest posts