Garmin 2730 Installation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bike Effects

Reaction score
I have received my 2730 and have it installed on my bike with my Gadget Guy GPS Enclosure. It took me awhile to figure out how this installation was going to work, not the least of which was where I was going to palce the XM antenna. Here is what I decided on.

2730-01.jpg

The XM antenna sits on the tank below the GPS. The antenna base is rubber and is held by a magnet in the antenna base. Reception of XM signals does not seem to be a problem, even in the garage.

2730-02.jpg

The antenna lead is not removable from the antenna, and is over 4' long. I just zip-tied the excess cable. The slot in the enclosure for the GPS on/off switch was modded to accept the antenna cable.

2730-03.jpg

You can see my Powerlet plug for the GPS and battery charging, just above my Datel volt meter.

2730-04.jpg

The Gadget Guy enclosure had to be modified for the stereo lead from the Garmin, which comes out of the left side of the 2730. What you see on the side of the enclosure is two Radio Shack 90 degree stereo adapter plugs put together. This allows the audio cable from the Starcom to exit the back of the enclosure the same place as the power cable for the GPS.

2730-05.jpg

In this picture you can see the new 3D, or Birds Eye View maps on the 2730. You can see my push-to-talk switch on the left hand grip for the Starcom Advance bike to bike radio function. Also, note the Valentine Audio adapter, which plays to the Starcom.

This unit is used both in my car and the bike. Future Gadget Guy enclosures will be setup to work with the 2730.

Last edited by a moderator:
looks real nice ........ and i am a little slow whats the up side of haveing one. its not like we are on a large lake finding nice sweet spots for the bassie and locking them in .

This unit is used both in my car and the bike. Future Gadget Guy enclosures will be setup to work with the 2730.
Hey SBE, how long does it take to switch the 2730 out of the gadgetguy holder to the vehicle mount. I do the same thing with my 2610, but I am using a cheap GPS mount because the gadgetguy mount looked like a pain to dis-assemble.

Can you post a pic of the view from the saddle ? Are you able to see the indicator lights w/ the GadgetGuy mount? Do you have the rear bolt mount installed in these pics? Thanks a bunch!

Are you sure you need the external antennae? I have a 2720 and it works fine without an external antennae. Just a thought.

Looks real sweet. How do you like the operation of the 2730 GPS over the 2610?
I have used this unit very little. As soon as I got it, I sent it to Gadget Guy for making a prototype for the mount. The only comment I would make is, the menus are different and I have to learn my way around again. By reading the manual, I think that they may be better. I do like the 3D maps, and the touch screen works OK with Gerbing heated gloves, which I tested on Thursday afternoon on a brief ride.

Hey SBE, how long does it take to switch the 2730 out of the gadgetguy holder to the vehicle mount. I do the same thing with my 2610, but I am using a cheap GPS mount because the gadgetguy mount looked like a pain to dis-assemble.
It takes a few minutes. The enclosure is key locked, and when unlocked you loosen a thumb screw and can open the hinged back plate. Having done that, you still can't get the GPS out as it will not open enough to allow removal before it hits the tank, which of course you have covered with a towel. You must loosen two clamps, rotate the enclosure on the mount, and remove the screws that hold the mount to the triple clamp. If this sounds like a pain in the ass, it may be, but I don't want it stolen, so I am happy with that. It takes me 5 minutes or less to remove it.

Can you post a pic of the view from the saddle ? Are you able to see the indicator lights w/ the GadgetGuy mount? Do you have the rear bolt mount installed in these pics? Thanks a bunch!
Same mount, same bike, with the 2610.

cockpit.jpg

Without seeing the back of your enclosure, does it accomodate the sensor for auto screen brightness?

BTW the 2730 is easy to navigate with, especially when you install the latest software from Garmin.

My antenna resides where yours is right now as well. It works better if you get it up higher. I have not yet seen the soon to be released techmount flavor, but I do not think it will work with my setup. I am currently in design for one of my own.

Without seeing the back of your enclosure, does it accomodate the sensor for auto screen brightness?
BTW the 2730 is easy to navigate with, especially when you install the latest software from Garmin.
No, it does not. I will have to use manual brightness.

The latest software from Garmin??? I just got this. Which software are you referring to?

My antenna resides where yours is right now as well. It works better if you get it up higher. I have not yet seen the soon to be released techmount flavor, but I do not think it will work with my setup. I am currently in design for one of my own.
If you are talking about a mount for the antenna, please post pictures when you're done.

I've got XM, I know when the Traffic/Weather for GPS's first came out they were quoting $99 a month on the web site (IIRC). I hope its come down.

I've got XM, I know when the Traffic/Weather for GPS's first came out they were quoting $99 a month on the web site (IIRC). I hope its come down.
$2.99 or $3.99 a month IIRC