Garmin 2730 on sale at Costco

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
James sells the new 2830 for less than that Costco cost. Seen the FJR vendors section ?
Indeed I have.
James has forwarded your email to me so I could assist with your inquiry! Yes, we could order a GPS navigation system for you from Garmin at our cost plus $20.00 shipping/handling per order. Please add sales tax of 8.25% if you are in California.
StreetPilot 2730 p/n#010-00408-04 $865.18
At least that's the latest price I was quoted. What's the 2830 and the official forum member price for it?
If James is selling them at his cost, this won't hurt anybody's feelings as he's only doing it as a favor to forum members anyway, right?

Read page 7 TC,

I can't figure out how to copy the quotes from one thread and have them show up in another thread, and have them highlighted :unsure:

Read page 7 TC,I can't figure out how to copy the quotes from one thread and have them show up in another thread, and have them highlighted
You mean this post (if not, can you provide a link to it?):
StreetPilot 2820: Garmin's full-featured GPS navigator for your car or motorcycle
Garmin part number: 010-00517-05

Suggested Retail Price:

$1184.60 U.S.D. (for domestic US market only)

Expected Availability:

June 2006

StreetPilot 2820 Features: Receiver: WAAS-enabled 12 parallel channel GPS

Display: 3.3” W x 1.7” H (3.8” diag.), 454 x 240 pixels; bright, automotive-grade 64K color TFT with automatic dimming backlight and touch screen

Unit dimensions: 5.6" W x 3.2" H x 2.0" D

Weight: .91 pounds (411 g)

Bluetooth wireless technology for hands-free calling and navigation audio prompts

Supports FM TMC traffic alerting

XM NavTraffic capabilities

Preloaded maps for all of North America or Europe

Voice announces streets by name

Look up addresses and points of interest

Choose 2D or 3D map perspective

Fingertip touch-screen interface and remote control

Upload custom POIs, including alerts for speed zones and safety cams

Built-in MP3 and audio book player

Waterproof: IEC 60529 IPX7 standards (submersible in one meter of water for up to 30 mins.)

* Feature compatibility dependent on helmet or headset support.
I didn't see a forum price though, and don't think I'll be needing Bluetooth for my setup. We have enough problems pulling the lids down over our ears as it is. BTW, what is the price? It looks identical to the 2730 but with wireless capability.

I didn't see a forum price though, and don't think I'll be needing Bluetooth for my setup. We have enough problems pulling the lids down over our ears as it is. BTW, what is the price? It looks identical to the 2730 but with wireless capability.

It was the 2730 pricing I mistook for the 2830, TWICE ! Sorry TC your correct.. no 2830 pricing posted :dntknw:

I just got a quote from Rick on the 2830... That Costco price is 30 - 50 bucks under his cost, IIRC. I don't know whether to love or hate Costco and the other big box stores. Great price, but zero support. Something to be said for getting a knowledgeable voice on the phone who can advise and steer you right, then take care of you after the sale, too. IMO, prolly worth the money saved in the long run...

By the way, what do they charge for the MC kit, if there is one for that model?

Hey guys

Just FYI, I told everyone to help your local gps retailers. Costco buys at a great discount sideways through a distributor and if you would read their Costco waiver, they are NOT an authorized Garmin Dealer and Garmin do not support them should there be an issue, you would have to take the unit back to Costco and deal with them directly.

All I can say is, if PRICE is the only factor for your GPS purchasing decision and how you keep your loyalty, than Costco is the place to go, but when you need a warranty or replacment, you better hope Costco have the replacment unit and that it will be handle for you.

I don't think Costco have the 2820 yet, but if they do, go for it.

As many have said, I don't have to beg anyone to give stuff away and I have no hard feelings, but for those that consider Costco for your GPS needs, please do us a BIG favor and don't ask us to support you with accessories or technical questions.

Have a great day

04FJR4ME

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guysJust FYI, I told everyone to help your local gps retailers. Costco buys at a great discount sideways through a distributor and if you would read their Costco waiver, they are NOT an authorized Garmin Dealer and Garmin do not support them should there be an issue, you would have to take the unit back to Costco and deal with them directly.

All I can say is, if PRICE is the only factor for your GPS purchasing decision and how you keep your loyalty, than Costco is the place to go, but when you need a warranty or replacment, you better hope Costco have the replacment unit and that it will be handle for you.

As many have said, I don't have to beg anyone to give stuff away and I have no hard feelings, but for those that consider Costco for your GPS needs, please do us a BIG favor and don't ask us to support you with accessories or technical questions.

Have a great day

04FJR4ME
SLAP!

I have to agree with you on this one... Price is NOT always the best way to shop.

HOWEVER,

If if was Hundreds less, You could make up the difference.

It kinda reminds me of gambling, Sometimes you win, Most of the time you lose.

My $.02

Adam

One thing you have to keep in mind with these two Garmin models, which I see no one talking about, is the fact the new 2820 does NOT come with the $267 GXM 30 smart antenna (it is optional)

2730 2820

That means if you plan on using the XM radio, weather or traffic feed features you have to get the optional XM antenna. It comes with the 2730.

To me it seems like a huge price increase (rather than a price drop) comparing the 2820 to 2730.

2820 gives you a bluetooth connection (not a whole lot of value on a bike IMHO)

Until someone makes a product (headset) that can accept bluetooth pairing from multiple devices at the same time I don't think bluetooth will catch on as a wireless audio to helmet option.

There are too many riders who want the following to their helmet:

-Radar

-GPS

-Music

-CB

-Rider/Pass

-Bike/Bike

-Cell phone

The 2820 gives you GPS & limited audio, what do you do for the rest?

My solution is still a wired communication system using the 2730

The GXM-30 thing bugs me also since it is $249. I saw it on ebay for $100, but not really sure on this.

dgfella

Hey guysJust FYI, I told everyone to help your local gps retailers. Costco buys at a great discount sideways through a distributor and if you would read their Costco waiver, they are NOT an authorized Garmin Dealer and Garmin do not support them should there be an issue, you would have to take the unit back to Costco and deal with them directly.

Have a great day

04FJR4ME

Correct. Service costs.

"A thing is worth what it can do for you, not what you choose to pay for it." - John Ruskin

"There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin