Garmin 2730/Zumo 550

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ric in Sac

Reaction score
Can two riders with headsets plug-in directly into either of these Garmin systems to listen to XM radio without routing through a Starcom? Has anybody done this?

Thanks for your feedback. It is much appreciated. :)

Bump. Judging the lack of a response, either nobody has tried this or I am becoming a pain in the arse . . .

If all you want to do is listen to one audio source with two sets of headphones, a Y-adapter from Radio Shack will do the trick. If you want to listen to multiple audio inputs (XM plus a radar detector, for instance), you'll need a multi-input amp, like a Mix-it or an Amplirider. If you want to listen to multiple inputs, talk to your pillion, and maybe add bike-to-bike communications, get a Starcom.

Without a Starcom, you will never be able to hear your wife/girlfriend/SO screaming at you to turn down the music :) . Whatever you use, consider a volume control off the Garmin. Its far easier to thumb this control than to try and adjust the volume through the touch screen.

DSCF1008.jpg

Without a Starcom, you will never be able to hear your wife/girlfriend/SO screaming at you to turn down the music :) . Whatever you use, consider a volume control off the Garmin. Its far easier to thumb this control than to try and adjust the volume through the touch screen.

Dont use the touchscreen to adjust the volume, press the bottom rubber button on the left side then either the top button on the left side to increase volume, or the second button to decrease. Two quick button taps and volume is changed. :rolleyes:

We're just not that cheap...buy the Starcom ya bum !! :derisive:
I am that cheap :p but I wonder if there is enough impedance (resistance?) to prevent damage to the output side of the GPS if you just run a Y cable or other splitter. If the cable has a volume control in it I would expect it to be OK. I'm not an electronics engineer, but I did burn out a stereo once by using speakers with not enough impedance. Of course the Starcom will also let you actually communicate with your pillion, and if you add a radio you can communicate with other bikes. Sure wish this stuff wasn't so pricey.

Okay, Okay, I will get the Starcom. I just like to keep things simple because simple usually works more reliably.

I will talk to the Candyman. He will know what parts/cables I need.