Garmin 2730

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgoat

Reaction score
Well, here we go again. The GPS market has just gotton more interesting. I might have to take a serious look at this one.

Nice. Verrrrry nice. But $$$$$$.

So.........how many gigs of MP3 can you put in? Is the unit waterproof?

pt-streetPilot7200DYN-SM.jpg

Now you want a big screen, MP3, XM, weather all in one?

How's about this one?

[SIZE=14pt]StreetPilot 7200 Features: [/SIZE]

WAAS enabled; 12 parallel channel GPS

Antenna: Built-in GPS patch-style antenna; MCX-type connector for external GPS antenna

Unit Dimensions: 7.5”W x 4.5”H x 2.2”D

Display: 7” (16:9) WQVGA, 480 x 234 pixel, color TFT with automatic dimming backlight and touch screen

Weight: 1.4 pounds

SD card slot and internal memory provides storage for MP3, audio books and additional MapSource products

Built-in speaker for radio and navigation instructions

Composite video input for external analog source such as backup camera

Send audio to the car stereo through the integrated FM wireless transmitter or 3.5 mm stereo headphone/line-out plug

User-selectable languages for voice and text

The StreetPilot 7200's huge 7-inch touch-screen display means you'll always see where you're going — even from the back of the bus. Designed for larger vehicles such as RVs, semi-trucks, and buses, our 7000-series are premium automotive units that come preloaded with City Navigator NT detailed maps and display navigation, entertainment, traffic and weather on a grand sunlight-readable display.

Traffic

With the purchase of an optional sensor, the StreetPilot 7200 and its counterpart, the StreetPilot 7500, notify you of accidents, road construction, and weather-related traffic delays before they are encountered, and then offer an alternate route. This optional traffic management capability makes driving with GPS essential, even if you know where you're going.

Traffic is delivered to the 7000 series through the GTM 10, GTM 11 or GXM 30 antenna (purchased separately). Get traffic alerts broadcasted by Clear Channel in select U.S. cities with the GTM 10 or GTM 11 FM TMC traffic receiver. Traffic services accessed with the GXM 30 Smart Antenna require a subsription to XM NavTraffic.

Weather

View real-time weather conditions with the optional GXM™ 30 Smart Antenna and a XM NavTraffic subscription. Find out the local forecast for your route or campsite down the road. Available weather information includes current conditions, city forecasts, and warnings for tornados, thunderstorms, and floods.

Entertainment

The StreetPilot 7200 and 7500 also include a host of features to keep you entertained during your travels, including an internal MP3 player, XM radio, and audio books. The built-in MP3 player lets users browse music by artist, album, song, or genre. Music can be loaded onto an SD card and is “drag-and-drop” easy – no special software is required. The XM Radio (with the optional GXM 30 Smart Antenna and XM Satellite Radio subscription) features 150-plus channels of commercial-free music, sports, news, talk, and entertainment. The StreetPilot 7200 and 7500 are also compatible with www.audible.com, a subscription-based audio book service. All music or speech files can be emitted over the vehicle’s existing speakers, through the StreetPilot’s built-in FM wireless transmitter or via the unit’s headphone/line-out jack. The entertainment audio is muted when navigation instructions are given.

Street Navigator

The StreetPilot 7000 series contains all of the features you've come to know and love in a Garmin, including intuitive navigation with automatic route calculation; voice-prompted, turn-by-turn directions; 2D or 3D map view; and automatic rerouting if a motorist strays off course. The unit speaks street names, so users will know to “turn right on Main Street.” Enter a series of destinations, and the unit will automatically sort them to provide an efficient route. With its POI Loader software, Garmin has also made it possible for customers to augment pre-loaded maps with custom POIs such as school zones and safety cameras.

The face of the StreetPilot 7200 and 7500 only has one button — an on/off switch. The side and back of the unit houses integrated internal speaker, mini USB port, AV input, SD card slot and 3.5 mm audio jack. A wireless infrared alphanumeric remote control that allows easy operation of the device from a distance is standard equipment.

See 2730 info on my other post ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
My "source" tells me street price will be in the neighborhood of only about a hundred bucks more than the 2720. Still, very pricey. Don't know anything more about the unit other than what's on the Garmin site. As near as I can tell the MP3 is fed by an external SD card. I'm personally still leaning towards the 276c and hope some remanufactured units become available in the near future.

1,300 bucks? Lessee, Rand McNally, sing to myself, test the weather with a wetted finger and split lanes in traffic. ;)

No specs or manual available yet for the 2730. My questions would be:

Is it battery powered (i.e., portable)--I suspect not.

Waterproof??

Does it use HDD??

If it's not battery powered, not waterproof and uses HDD for storage, it wouldn't meet my needs for the FJR, car/truck and backcountry usage. I'm continuing to look but the Quest II still looks the best to meet my needs.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California B)

Im with ya there lee.... Still waiting for that Flash memory unit, and really waterproof... I sent a couple of emails to garmin and Lorance to let them know about us motorcyclists... that need those type of specs, I never got an email back, but at least I voiced my opinion... :)

Hope they pay attention. :)

Oh and am I correct, If you want XM Weather... the subscrip, is like $99.00 a month... Please tell me Im wrong about that...

Id rather ride around with shit in my pants for a day... then pay that kind of nonscense...

:trinibob: <----- Warp aiming at sattelite's

Mmmmm. Now THAT looks tasty! Nice to see them compete.

Not so incredibly expensive if you don't already have Sat radio and an MP3 player (and want them). Besides, just wait another year...

Waterproof??Does it use HDD??

If it's not battery powered, not waterproof and uses HDD for storage, it wouldn't meet my needs for the FJR,
That's what the weather report is for! :D :D :D

Doesn't need to be waterproof if you can avoid the Rain! :agent:

Is it battery powered (i.e., portable)--I suspect not.

Should be the same as the 2620/2720 which does not have a battery, buy a C340 if yu need a battery powered unit.

Waterproof??

Should be the same as the 2620/2720 which shows that it is water proof up to a point.

Does it use HDD??

Should be the same as the later version of the 2620/2720, should use a transflash memory instead of harddrive.

If you want XM Weather... the subscrip, is like $99.00 a month

*XM NavTraffic subscription required.

**XM Radio subscription required.

Nothing is mentioned about the weather subscription here? :unsure:

Not sure what you are talking about as far as weather subscription goes, but nothing cost $99 a month. The weather data is included in the XM subscription some what like the TomTom that utilizes the blue tooth and internet base server for traffic and weather info.

Like everything else, the price will be cheaper if you can wait or do without, but most of us like to have all the toys now! ;)

04FJR4ME, Sounds like either unit (2730 or 7200) might be what Im looking for.

I would suggest that the 7200 although it is the same size as the 2730 just all screen, would be way out of my price range...

Suggested Retail Price:

$1615.37 U.S.D. (for domestic US market only)

Expected Availability:

December 2005

I guess I wasn't sure about the pricing on the weather / xmnav, but I found it now...

2. Subscribing to the XM NavTraffic service:

The XM NavTraffic service is available as a stand alone package (without XM audio) or as a premium package at $3.99 per month over the $12.95 monthly audio subscription.

or $16.94 / month

thanks for helping to clear these things up....

This is what I saw as I didn't know any better at what was needed for the subscription... :)

Warp

Waterproof??
Should be the same as the 2620/2720 which shows that it is water proof up to a point.
The spec sheet says that it is IPX-7 waterproof. So, from the Garmin website:

"Most newer Garmin® GPS units are waterproof in accordance with IEC 60529 IPX7. IEC 60529 is a European system of test specification standards for classifying the degrees of protection provided by the enclosures of electrical equipment. An IPX7 designation means the GPS case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes. An IPX8 designation is for continuous underwater use. "

So this unit secured in the already available custom housing sitting on a stemstand sounds like a pretty sweet package.

Cheers,

Jim