Garmin 478 GPS mounting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deacon06

Reaction score
Thanks to all who responded to my previous question regarding the stem mount position for GPS. Looks like I will probably opt for the Techmount stem mount bracket. What else do I need to mont the GPS to this bracket? How does the cradle that holds the GPS attach to the Techmount. Anybody else using a 478 care to share how they mounted?? TIA!

I bolted a ram ball mount to it and put it on the left mirror bolt on the handlebar. I don't like this mount for a couple of reasons:

The mount bounces too much compared to the mount the 478 came with.

Rain comes in through the mount and after an hour the xm won't work until it dries out. A ton of duct tape keeps the rain off but I still don't like the bouncing. I've not tried dialectric grease because I didn't have this on the road trip and I'm back to the original mount.

Thanks to all who responded to my previous question regarding the stem mount position for GPS. Looks like I will probably opt for the Techmount stem mount bracket. What else do I need to mont the GPS to this bracket? How does the cradle that holds the GPS attach to the Techmount. Anybody else using a 478 care to share how they mounted?? TIA!
I really like my stem nut which accepts a RAM ball for my 478 (glad someone else likes thia GPS). I have a short RAM arm and the RAM bracket designed for the 478 which I use when I do not use a tank bag or with a small tank bag. For a large tankbag I use the long RAM arm. Everything except the stem nut are available from whitehorsegear.com including a bracket for the XM puck if you get one.