Garmin 550

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where is the cheapest place to buy the Garmin 550 motorcycle gps?
If you want the Zumo 550, a quick search showed Amazon to be the best price @ $599. with free shipping. Avoid the super cheap New York advertisers. They will scam you. I got mine from PCNation,great service but not the cheapest today.

It's a good question..... I'd start with eBay, then pick out a reputable seller. That's what I did way back in 2007, and I didn't go with the cheapest guy, but still got a good deal at the time. Perhaps someone here has bought one recently, got a good deal also.

I do not know cheapest but:

Costco.com: $599.99 shipped

garmin.com/ama: $708.74 plus shipping (even with AMA discount, Garmin does not attempt to compete with its retailers)

The AMA discount is good for map updates at 25% discount.

Why buy old technology when you can get the newest version for almost the same price? Cost $629.84 and I had it in 2 days.

Clicky

Last edited by a moderator:
google "zumo 660 site:fjrforum.com" for mega info on big problems and bugs in the 660

not recommended, at least a few months ago

google "garmin zumo 660 forum" for more recent info

there are some important advantages to stick with the 550 - some things went away or were reduced in the 660 design

Why is the Garmin 660 cheaper than the older 550?
Yes they did have a lot of issues when they were first released. They have incorporated several upgrades and have solved 99% of the issues for the normal user. You will not get the XM radio with the 660 which doesn't bother me in the least. You can go on the zumo forum and read till your hearts content. There are several advantages over the 550 in my opinion.

Much faster responce time.

Stereo output (AD2P)

Lane assist

3D mapping

Larger and better graphics

Many more built in features

Can't remember all of them off the top of my head.

Dave

If you’re talking about the Nuvi I just picked one up last week on Amazon for $199.00. I see they are still offering that deal now and it seems to be a great little gps if you don't need Bluetooth or some of the other bells and whistles.