Garmin c320 on FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fieldsher

Reaction score
Anyone adapted the Garmin 320 for their FJR? My thought was to improvise a setup incorporating my tankbag as a support. I know the 2610, Quest and others are more common but the 320 is best suited to my family's needs (read kids).

Thanks, George

From the " OTHER " board posted by 04FJR4ME ( our own resident GPS GURU ) :clap:

Quote "

The Garmin C320 for budget-conscious users is a regional system that stores it's map data on a SD card / C330 Full coverage North Americas map data stored in the NAND memory fully unlocked, this unit was design to battle the Magellan RoadMates and Tom Tom Go Plus units, it does have some downfall for the motorcycle application like the Magellan RoadMate and Tom Tom Go Plus, they are not water proof.

The C340 that will soon to follow have features that is to sensitive to mentioned now but it is exciting to see what's new to come.

I think 3D mapping and text of speech features will soon be available on most up and coming GPS models from most of these GPS manufactures.

If you wait long enough, everything you wish to have will be part of the system, but the problem is that you will be to old to use it.

The C320 and C330 looks much like the Tom Tom Go and the user interface has been dramatically improved by Garmin which will fit the rest of the potential first time user GPS customers better. The Magellan RoadMate has satisfy this 1st time user requirements by it's extremely user friendly user interface and now Garmin has follow Magellan lead and answer this market with it's own C series GPS system with ease of use functionalities.

The system does not have audio out feature and I am not sure they will have this option available, the system is not water proof like most of it's other models but it is portable and it does have it's own internal battery. The system have a set of speakers on the sides of the display which gives great audio commands for both driver and passenger while used in a vehicle.

I think it can be use easily enough on a motorcycle but don't expect the reliability and weatherproof unit like the SP26xx or 276C GPS systems "

Thanks Highlander. I knew that info but appreciate the summary. SD card is preferable to hard drive in my opinion (cheap and durable). Happy to forego waterproof and spkr output to save $ but uncertain about how to mount it. Still thinking...

George

Fieldsher,

I bought my wife a c330 to use (c340 wasn't out yet) for her vehicle, since it was less intimidating to use than the 26XX or 27xx series Garmin. She likes its ease of use and compactness.

As for use on a motorcycle however, besides the lack of environmental protection on the unit , I would add one more objection which I would consider a serious flaw in such an application.

The screen on the unit is resonable bright in a vehicle as long as you are not driving with the sun in front of you, although, it's not as bright as the 26xx or 27xx series screens. The real problem becomes apparent if you put on a pair sunglasses, whereupon the screen becomes almost totally opaque, particularily if your shades are polarized.

I would recommend a 2610 series with a +2 Gig memory card, their cost has been reduced considerably, or if you have the resources, a 2720 which has the latest capabilities. They are usuable on a bike or car and are weatherproof, and their shape leads to easier mounting options. You can also buy some additional Garmin dash mounts to transfer it quickly from one vehicle to another.

BTW

My wife quickly learned to use all of the Garmin units, after having her initiation with the c330. :)

Thanks Toynut. These old eyes aren't getting any better. I concur that sub-par visibility would be a big problem so I'll take your advice and spend the extra $ for the 2610. Fact is the kids may be ecstatic about having a remote. Seeing where I should be going might be useful too.

George

Understand the 2610 price is much less but the user interface is not as efficient.

The 2720 or 2730 will be a better selection if you do not wish to buy a end of life outdated unit such as the 2610 Garmin.

Just FYI