Garmin features comparison

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bramfrank

BramFrank
Reaction score
I've put together a matrix comparing the various bike-appropriate navigator models.

Yes, I KNOW you can use a handheld on a bike and I know that the SP3 and other older units are still appropriate, but I thought it might be useful to put the main features of the various current units into a spreadsheet to help some among us make up their minds.

The here could have been more columns on the list, but I think I've hit the high points and where they mainly differ.

Note that prices are MSRP as of this date - I've included them to allow the reader to determine where they fit in price-wise. Note that where XM, Weather or traffic are marked as features you will need to pay for a subscription to the service.

Here is the link

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. Now I still know that my Quest is easy to use. But does anyone know of a convertor between Mapsource and Microsoft Streets and Trips?

Thanks, Dave

I've put together a matrix comparing the various bike-appropriate navigator models.
Nice chart. But you list the Quest and Quest2 as having a touchscreen. They do not.
Garmin have a real nice website that you can input the different Garmin navigation you wish to compare and it will offer you information that maybe helpful. The information maybe more accurate.

Garmin comparison link

The chart also shows no weather for th e ZUMO but it does, it is an option.

" Add Optional Traffic, Weather, and Radio "

Garmin Zumo webpage

It also shows the 2820, 2730 and 2720 does not have weather option?

Additionally, the StreetPilot 2730 can also receive XM weather data*. Current weather conditions for over 2,000 locations, and weather forecasts for 162 cities, are displayed on-screen. United States county storm and flood warnings are also highlighted, allowing motorists to make prudent driving decisions.

*XM NavTraffic subscription required.

Traffic Message Channel (TMC) services — receive Traffic Message Channel (TMC) data via FM radio broadcasts in Europe and the United States

XM NavTraffic™service — receive NAVTEQ Traffic™ information via continuous satellite broadcasts in the United States

With either service, your Garmin notifies you of traffic delays before they are encountered, and then offers an alternate route. No more wasting time stuck in traffic!

Monitor traffic tie-ups with the addition of an optional FM TMC traffic receiver. By adding traffic services and a receiver to your StreetPilot 2720, it notifies you of accidents, road construction, and weather-related traffic delays before they are encountered, and then offers an alternate route. Simply touch the screen icon to calculate a new route.

XM NavTraffic also provide basic weather information such as current conditions, forecasts, and Severe Weather Alerts.

Hope this helps

04FJR4ME

Garmin have a real nice website that you can input the different Garmin navigation you wish to compare and it will offer you information that maybe helpful. The information maybe more accurate.
Garmin comparison link

Hope this helps

04FJR4ME
Not really - where do I start?
The online comparison doesn't tell you how much memory you can put in a 276 or 376. It says there is no PPOI support in the dual-mode units for things like safety cameras (which the 376/376/378/478 can all do). It doesn't say whether the GX-30 is supplied or not. I doesn't have the Zumo and more.

If something is incorrect in the file, let me know and I'll fix it. That would be constructive

edit: I see you have edited your post, thank you.

Note that weather support for the automotive units is limited to simple forecasts - Nexrad is only available in the 376/378/478.

Zumo has been edited to reflect the same limited weather support.

Nice Comparison Chart. Thanks

A couple of questions come to mind with regard to the Zumo. As I currently have the J & M CB system along with the audio intergrator module I was wondering if the Zumo GPS would intergate with it. I note from the Zumo literature that it has a really neat bluetooth output. I also note that it is waterproof. The question then comes up: Does the Zumo also have a standard 3.5 mm output receptacle for use with input to other wired systems such as the J & M, and all the other mixer type audio units used by many FJR riders/farklers? Does anyone know? Or to use the Zumo with these other systems would one then have to add bluetooth units to the other units to get the signals (Music, directions) out of the Zumo & into the other systems? From the Garmin website photos I don't see anything that appears to be a 3.5 mm outlet. Also one is not mentioned in the specifications. Just food for thought in planning future GPS installations. The Zumo otherwise looks like a great unit. Anyone else have other thoughts on system integration?

Nice Comparison Chart. Thanks
A couple of questions come to mind with regard to the Zumo. As I currently have the J & M CB system along with the audio intergrator module I was wondering if the Zumo GPS would intergate with it. I note from the Zumo literature that it has a really neat bluetooth output. I also note that it is waterproof. The question then comes up: Does the Zumo also have a standard 3.5 mm output receptacle for use with input to other wired systems such as the J & M, and all the other mixer type audio units used by many FJR riders/farklers? Does anyone know? Or to use the Zumo with these other systems would one then have to add bluetooth units to the other units to get the signals (Music, directions) out of the Zumo & into the other systems? From the Garmin website photos I don't see anything that appears to be a 3.5 mm outlet. Also one is not mentioned in the specifications. Just food for thought in planning future GPS installations. The Zumo otherwise looks like a great unit. Anyone else have other thoughts on system integration?
I talked to a rep and was told the zumo has a 3.5 output. If you use the XM feature it will only transmit through the 3.5. Voice directions and phone will transmit through Blue Tooth and the 3.5 connector.

I talked to a rep and was told the zumo has a 3.5 output. If you use the XM feature it will only transmit through the 3.5. Voice directions and phone will transmit through Blue Tooth and the 3.5 connector.
I went to the Zumo mini-site and spun the unit around a number of times. There's absolutely no sign of a 3.5 mm jack that I could find. Maybe it will be at the end of the mutipin cable - no details and no manuals on line to check.
The web site shows the power cable as a round 4 pin cable with 2 wires. There HAS to be a wired Stereo output, if only to plug in a headset. I guess we'l find out when they come in.

I went to the Zumo mini-site and spun the unit around a number of times. There's absolutely no sign of a 3.5 mm jack that I could find.

I'm not terribly familiar with the zumo, but sometimes the 3.5 jack is not in the unit but rather in the cradle that the unit sits in. For example on my Quest, the back of the unit has a series of small gold colored contacts for the 12v, ground, and for the audio. The contacts connect to some pins in the cradle, and then the cradle is connected to the power and contains a 3.5 jack.

On the Zumo the 3.5mm output is on the mount. I assume that the data all goes thru the multi pin interface and into the mount. This probably helps with waterproofing.