Garmin freeze up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattster31

Reaction score
So I've been using my 2820 (I bought from a forum member) for a few months now and love it. I was out on a 200km ride last night with some buddies and the thing starts shutting off and re-starting! continually...........as soon as I press "accept" the map comes up with my current location, the screen freezes, and it shuts off and does it all over again. I stopped and thought perhaps there might have been a wiring issue (no). So I turn it off and continue the ride. I was using it not just for direction but listening to some tunes. Turns out that it did not like the "Beatles" "Get back". Once I was home I managed to quickly press "stop" on the mp3 before the screen would freeze and the problem went away. WTF???? I did a search and did not find anything similar. Who has had this happen?? Can an mp3 file bugger your Garmin that easily??

I will no longer play "Beatles" on my Garmin........I will no longer play "Beatles" on my Garmin..............

Hi Matt!

My guess your plug in the back is either dirty or needed to be reseated. My 2730 (I think has the same plug) was flipping on and off one day after a few miles out, I pushed the plug and it moved a couple of microns and reseated and everything was fine after that. Must have been not making perfect contact.

So I've been using my 2820 (I bought from a forum member) for a few months now and love it. I was out on a 200km ride last night with some buddies and the thing starts shutting off and re-starting! continually...........as soon as I press "accept" the map comes up with my current location, the screen freezes, and it shuts off and does it all over again. I stopped and thought perhaps there might have been a wiring issue (no). So I turn it off and continue the ride. I was using it not just for direction but listening to some tunes. Turns out that it did not like the "Beatles" "Get back". Once I was home I managed to quickly press "stop" on the mp3 before the screen would freeze and the problem went away. WTF???? I did a search and did not find anything similar. Who has had this happen?? Can an mp3 file bugger your Garmin that easily??
I will no longer play "Beatles" on my Garmin........I will no longer play "Beatles" on my Garmin..............
I had that EXACT same issue on during the 2008 Nevada 1099rally ...finshed the 2nd half of the rally with no GPS "-( Unit would just cylce through and as it would re-boot it would turn itself off -repeatedly. Nothing I could do would let it completely boot. I was not able to stop it like you did -mine was intanteous when it would shut off after the cycle. Once home I deleted the MP3file that was currently playing (via PC) ....since then all is good.

--My file was LARGE, and I blamed it on that (aprox 12meg). It was not Beattles but rather a bootleg live version of Neil Young and a few folks from Fleetwood Mac.

I listen to a lot of Beattles, so I don't think it's that ...however I'd be cautious with the White Album at dusk ....never a good combination. Dawn is OK, but never do the White Album at dusk.

I've had a few 2730's (same as your unit basically) and haven't had the problem since, but I've also stayed away from large files. I also use a little MP3 player instead of the GPS's MP3player when on rallies or critical rides.

Curious: how large was the file you were playing when it happened? --Larger than typical???

While I'm sorry this happened to you ....It is interesting that this weird behavior happened to someone else.

...john

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Matt!
My guess your plug in the back is either dirty or needed to be reseated. My 2730 (I think has the same plug) was flipping on and off one day after a few miles out, I pushed the plug and it moved a couple of microns and reseated and everything was fine after that. Must have been not making perfect contact.
I tried that one...........no change. It even did it with the 12v adapter at home. Although I have had that one happen before (not seated) but it would still work and not freeze up.

I listen to a lot of Beattles, so I don't think it's that ...however I'd be cautious with the White Album at dusk ....never a good combination. Dawn is OK, but never do the White Album at dusk.
Curious: how large was the file you were playing when it happened? --Larger than typical???
LOL :rolleyes: Never get off your bike in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere either............. :rolleyes: My buddy was riding his Katana 750 and his headlight kept crapping out...........not fun on the back roads.

As for the file size.......only 5mb. very strange.

My 2730 would shift to showing Red Square whenever I played "Back in the USSR". Whatever you do, don't load a reversed version of "Strawberry Fields".

It's the record companies trying to keep you from playing bootleg beatles tunes.

conspiracy.jpg