garmin gps question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfcfjr

Reaction score
which of the garmin gps units can you load routes from google maps or same. i see people are talking about 2595, 2597, 1490. looking for around 200$ unit. thanks..

Garmins come with loaded maps and a proprietory program called MapSource that you can make custom routes with. Google maps, I think, is possible with a somewhat messy work-a-round.

If you look on Garmin's web site you can compare the various units. You want one that will store some number of routes. The more expensive motorcycle specific units store many routes while the less expensive ones usually have a limit of some number. And some will not store routes at all and only route to a specified point. Here is a good place to start.

Garmins come with loaded maps and a proprietory program called MapSource that you can make custom routes with. Google maps, I think, is possible with a somewhat messy work-a-round.
Garmin does not update or support MapSource any longer and hasn't in several years. They are now using BaseCamp. And the units are not loaded with either MapSource or BaseCamp. You have to download them and install on your computer if so desired.

I've used Basecamp and Tyre, and I use Tyre more than Basecamp because I find it more intuitive. Google might work too, but I've never tried converting it to Garmin usage. I'm using a 6xx, can't remember which. :)