Garmin maps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreyGoose

Reaction score
i recently purchased as zumo 660 and got the latest map. i downloaded it onto my computer, unzipped it, and installed it.

I also have a nuvi 765t that i bought last year. i would like to update the map on the 765t to match the version on the zumo.

i'm being told that i have to purchase the map update for the 765t device, but i got to thinking (which always gets me in trouble);

i still have the zip file on my computer with the most up to date map downloaded for the zumo. to be able to download the map, you have to register, but once your registered, you can unplug your device untill your ready to unzip the file and tranfer the new map to the garmin.

so i guess my question is this. are there different maps for different units?

i would like to just plug in my 765t and run the new file on it to get the latest map onto it. It would be similiar to ordering the cd and just popping it back in with the 765t connected instead of the zumo.

Anybody got any thoughts on this, or have tried it?

Greygoose

I don't know if this applies completely, but a buddy shared a route he had created with the latest map for a 765, and we loaded it to our Zumo 550's (I am assuming same map for 660). As we rode across MD and WV, it was apparent we were missing turn by turn voice directions, and in several places, we appeared to be on the correct road, but some of the roads were displayed on the Zumo as being way off to the side or crossing our path nowhere near where the road really was. Also, the route time calculations were way off (the 765 route had added about 3 hours to the calculated time of arrival). So, I can't say for sure, but I'm guessing the two types of GPS's may be processed differently in the two different devices, while on paper (Mapsource) they looked the same.

What we had not done is zoom in to street level to check for anomalies before we loaded the routes. Perhaps do this before you load the route, and check it over. Ride and see if all is as it is supposed to be...... it may work on paper, may be OK in the device but with errors. Worst case, it might be necessary to get the proper map.

You could always call Garmin and get their opinion......

I don't know if this applies completely, but a buddy shared a route he had created with the latest map for a 765, and we loaded it to our Zumo 550's (I am assuming same map for 660). As we rode across MD and WV, it was apparent we were missing turn by turn voice directions, and in several places, we appeared to be on the correct road, but some of the roads were displayed on the Zumo as being way off to the side or crossing our path nowhere near where the road really was. Also, the route time calculations were way off (the 765 route had added about 3 hours to the calculated time of arrival). So, I can't say for sure, but I'm guessing the two types of GPS's may be processed differently in the two different devices, while on paper (Mapsource) they looked the same.What we had not done is zoom in to street level to check for anomalies before we loaded the routes. Perhaps do this before you load the route, and check it over. Ride and see if all is as it is supposed to be...... it may work on paper, may be OK in the device but with errors. Worst case, it might be necessary to get the proper map.

You could always call Garmin and get their opinion......
did the zumo and 765t have the same version of the map? . We've already determined that the 765t may do some modifciations to your route when transferring from mapsource that the zumo wont do. the zumo seems to just take the route as is, where the 765t may make some of its own adjustments. I'm trying to minimize that by haveing the same map version on each device. i think this could be worse if the map versions betewen the two devices are different. you can load a version (call it version A) onto a different unit that has Version B, but the GPS recongizes the difference and asks you if you want to recalculate. I'm not sure how to answer that question on the device.

I was trying to take that question out of the equation and just hope (since the maps were the same), we'd be close. So the question remains: when you get a map from garmin, is the map specific to a particular device (ie. do you get a different piece of software for the zumo than you do for the 765t when you get a map update)? I would think that map version 2011.1 (which is garmins latest) is the same for all the devices. i wonder if garmin is putting some kind of marker on the map file that would stop me from using my zumo 660 map update on the 765t.

Anybody want to chime in here?

garmin is telling me that "It shouldn't let you install it onto another device. If it does, you will get a "Can't Unlock Maps" error message and you cannot use your GPS."

thanx

GreyGoose

Last edited by a moderator:
garmin is telling me that "It shouldn't let you install it onto another device. If it does, you will get a "Can't Unlock Maps" error message and you cannot use your GPS."
thanx

GreyGoose
As far as I know, having tried things along these lines in the past, what Gamin told is the correct, you'll get the error message and not be able to use the maps on the other devices. I believe the registration code is linked to the GPS serial number.