Garmin Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fencer

Why yes, I am a Smart ASS
Reaction score
Santa arrived early, and I have my 2820. I have been using it in my truck for the last few days and have a few questions for you gps users. Yes this is my first gps.

1 The animated screen is about 3 seconds behind my actual location ( ie I pass the road, then a few seconds later I pass the road on the screen. Is this lag time normal? The speed seems to be acurate with the truck speedo.

2 Only the bluetooth users can help here. I have bonded my phone and earpiece with the gps. The gps will give me directions in the earpiece, and I can talk on the phone. But I have lost the voice dial ability. As far as I can tell I have everything turned on that is supposed to be on. I turn the gps off and VD is back (I know I can get a shot for the VD :p ) Also, the recieving person says they here themselves echoing in thier phone (land line) and I here no echo. what am I missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
1 The animated screen is about 3 seconds behind my actual location ( ie I pass the road, then a few seconds later I pass the road on the screen. Is this lag time normal? The speed seems to be acurate with the truck speedo.
I've noticed a second or two lag on my 2730. Not a problem if that road was an important turn as it does a good job of predicting it. I also notice it lags more if I have a large amount of optional map detail turned on.

Santa arrived early, and I have my 2820. I have been using it in my truck for the last few days and have a few questions for you gps users. Yes this is my first gps.

2 Only the bluetooth users can help here. I have bonded my phone and earpiece with the gps. The gps will give me directions in the earpiece, and I can talk on the phone. But I have lost the voice dial ability. As far as I can tell I have everything turned on that is supposed to be on. I turn the gps off and VD is back (I know I can get a shot for the VD :p ) Also, the recieveing person says they here themselves echoing in thier phone (land line) and I here no echo. what am I missing?
I just started playing with my Zumo. I do not have the lag time you mentioned in item 1 but I did have the same problem with item 2. It was the order I turned on my devices that was the problem. If my phone paired to the headset first before the Garmin I would have the same problem about not being able to use the phone hardly at all. If I let the phone pair with the Garmin before I turn on my headset all seemed to work fine.

Hope this helps

DRJFJR

There is no perfect unit as we know of, but Garmin is trying very hard to address issues such as this.

The reason we try to encourage getting away from the older 26xx, 27xx, 28xx is simple.

You are using much older hardware and processor along with outdated GPS receiver.

Nothing to complaint about, it is just the limitations that you have to deal with.

Consider the 26xx or 27xx like buying a 486 computer, yeah, it still functions but maybe not as good as a new computer, but you can buy it at a discount for a very good reason. You get what you pay for so there is not much room to complaint.

The question is, is it better to do without a GPS or to have one with some small limitations.

I will be very happy with any GPS!

For me, I would rather have a GPS then do without one, no matter how slow it is. I buy the best that is available so I am not getting outdated technology and hardware.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays

As always, thanks for the info James.

If the 26XX, 27XX, and 28XX are the old technology GPS units, what are the comparable new technology units?

And I recently saw the Garmin discontinued the 2730. Do you know why they specifically discontinued that model?

Nothing to complaint about, it is just the limitations that you have to deal with.
No complaints ,just questions. The gps is fine. The bluetooth does not seem to work correctly (or at least not as I expect it should considering my other bluetooth items)

2820 still listed as a new item on the garmin website. It may not have the latest and greatest for today but it offers more (in features that I wanted) over the Zumo. And from DRJFJR , the Zumo is doing the same on the Bluetooth end.

I can't bitch about the price either $710 BNIB including the motorcycle mount (No it wasn't ebay).

And I recently saw the Garmin discontinued the 2730. Do you know why they specifically discontinued that model?
If gave it a good guess The 2730 is the exact same model as the 2820 except the 2820 has bluetooth and the 2820 msrp is $200 less.

Also the same as the 2720 but the 30 has xm Avail

Product Comparison New Zumo vs old tech 2820 (still new but not SiRF

StreetPilot 2820 zumo 550

Receiver 12 channel High sensitivity GPS receiver by SiRF

Batteries N/A Rechargeable lithium-ion

Number of Waypoints 2000 500

# of Routes / # of waypoints per route 50/254 50/200

Battery Life N/A Up to 4 hours depending on use

Display Size 1.7 x 3.3 2.8" W x 2.1" H

Display Type WQVGA Color TFT Touch Screen 64,000 color bright QVGA transflective anti-glare TFT with touch screen

Display Resolution 240 x 454 320 x 240

# of Tracklog Points 2000 N/A

Unit Weight .93 lbs. 10.6 ounces

Garmin Lock N/A Yes

Unit Dimensions 5.6" W x 3.2" H x 2.0" D 4.4" W x 3.9" H x 2.87" D

Travel Assistant N/A Yes

Configurable Car Icons N/A Yes

Backlit Display Automatic Dimming Multi-level

Remote Control Yes N/A

3.5mm Headphone/Line-Out Audio Plug Yes N/A

XM WX Satellite Weather Compatibility Basic Weather information N/A

including forecasts and current conditions. No NEXRAD radar.

Voltage Range 12 volts 12-24

Speed Alarm Yes, requires Custom POI data N/A

MSRP $1076.91 $1076.91

Copyright 1996-2006 Garmin Ltd. or its subsidiaries

Privacy Statement

If An item is not listed then the feature is the same

So Scoot the dif in your Old 2730 is the same as above minus the bleutooth and the higher msrp

Now why is my spacing and divider not showing up like it did when I typed this?

As always, thanks for the info James.
If the 26XX, 27XX, and 28XX are the old technology GPS units, what are the comparable new technology units?

Greg

The 26xx, 27xx is discountinued due to the age and design that is nolonger popular, not a good seller for Garmin and they are moving on. Most customers wish a slightly a slightly larger or different screen size with the ability to expend and internal battery.

With the Zumo using an SD card, you can expend the feature such as fuel gauge, saver guide, language guide, audio books, tracklog feature, and many more options without doing anything but slipping an SD card in the unit.

The screen is brighter, the GPS SiRF receiver is much more sensitive and most of all, the glove friendly display is their main focus with a faster processor. It also comes with motorcycle mount and power cable adapter that is not included in the 27xx, 28xx and will cost you more if you need to buy them. Having a batter and being compact is huge in my world, you can take your GPS in to a hotel room or resturant and program where you wish to go or even what is around you to visit without having to be on the bike is a big plus for me.

It is not that the 26xx, 27xx or even the 28xx is a bad unit, but the design and hardware is nolonger up todate and they have to change with what is competitive.

The older GPS units are fine if it is working for you, don't feel bad, I have to buy my units also and it seems like as soon as I buy one, Garmin comes out with something else that I want. Drive me nuts too.

The nice part about all this is that the Zumo units price will also go down to the $700ish soon and it will make it much more affordable to own when it does compare to the 27xx and 28xx.

Love to hear from some of the forum members that purchased a Zumo from us and see what they have to say about the unit.

As far as BT goes, if you think Garmin have problems, you should try some of the other systems. They are not perfect but they are better then most.

Don't worry about what you don't have, just enjoy what you own and everyone will be happier.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas :)

James

04FJR4ME

My 2720 doesn't have the time lag you describe. You getting strong sat reception?
+1 on my 2730.

Though I do have lag time on re-routing if I'm in a build up area with lots of waypoints and miss a turn.

I have also customized my screen to include a countdown timer and distance to the next turn. I may have missed a turn here and there, but it was definitely due to rider error. :lol:

(snip)

So the zumo has no line out audio? If you want voice prompts, you have to have a bluetooth headset?

Zumo has audio line out AND a microphone in on the side of the cradle.

KM

(snip)

So the zumo has no line out audio? If you want voice prompts, you have to have a bluetooth headset?
Garmin better fix the web page as that is one on the reasons I went for the 2820, another was price. I only paid $654 for the unit.