Garmin, TomTom

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This week it would be the Zumo 550. After perhaps two more firmware updates the Zumo 660 may pull ahead for some because of some of the newer nav features. Besides, there's a reason why Garmin charges more for the 550 than the 660 . . . .

But until Garmin addresses some very serious faults, I'd suggest staying away from the 660.

Another bike-friendly option could be the Nuvi 500 series, if you don't need Bluetooth and such. Then there's the GPSMAP 276c/378/478 and 640 to consider, especially if you happen to own a boat.

I have no personal experience with the TT Rider-2, but I've heard others complain about a non-intuitive interface and quality issues with that model.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Garmin and have had issues that were solved better than expected. As far as customer service Garmin has had more good press on the net then Rider. That in itself makes me want to continue to use Garmin. I have no experience with TomTom but I believe a gentleman I ride with just purchased one for his truck.

No experience with the TT either but have been loving my Zumo 550 for the last couple of years. No complaints, no problems with the core functions. Love that it syncs via bluetooth to my Blackberry not so that I can take calls on the bike but so at least I can screen them and see if I need to pull over to answer or reply to one. Also love the MP3 function and listen to my music when the spirit moves me.

I don't use the XM radio functions as I didn't want to spring for the antenna and the XM service (I use Sirius in my car). If it supported the XM NavWeather I would add it in a second. Unfortunately it doesn't...so I guess that would be my only complaint.

Ya call Garmin customer service, you talk to someone in the US -

Ya call TomTom, and your call visits Mumbai, or Bangalore, or.......

Get the idea?

Having had several Garmin units and only one TomTom.....

Garmin.

The issue I've had with Tomtom is that the application keeps needing to be reinstalled. The unit works well enough, but will get stuck with software looping or jamming up.

"Soft reset" has no effect that I can tell.

Shane

I screwed up my Zumo and corrupted the file system. I had downloaded the 2009 map update and did not have a backup image of the unit. I had bought the update download last fall and I called for help. They are sending me the 2010 DVD at no charge. Good service so Garmin gets my vote.

I've only had experience with the older tom toms and i'm going to purchase a garmin. The tom tom just had too many issues out on the road. Garmin offers so many featuresfor the price. Bluetooth, headphone jack, mp3, audiobook, route planning, lane assist, distance to next turn (with arrow (depending on specific model)), etc...etc....

If you dont need waterproofing, you can also save yourself a ton of cash. (garmin 765t...under 275.00)

Go with garmin. i've yet to hear any negatives.

GreyGoose

I'm looking into buying a GPS not sure which one, Garmin 550,650 or the TomTom Rider?
I've used several Garmins and the TomTom Rider - TomTom says the Rider is "Designed with bikers in mind". Well, if that's the case, I want to meet those "bikers" and kick them in the junk...

The Garmin Zumo 550 isn't perfect (the computer software sucks for example) and it doesn't do everything even older Garmins did/do but it *is* the best motorcycle specific GPS available today. If you can afford it, buy it or the 450 if you don't need the Bluetooth support.

I'm looking into buying a GPS not sure which one, Garmin 550,650 or the TomTom Rider?
I've used several Garmins and the TomTom Rider - TomTom says the Rider is "Designed with bikers in mind". Well, if that's the case, I want to meet those "bikers" and kick them in the junk...

The Garmin Zumo 550 isn't perfect (the computer software sucks for example) and it doesn't do everything even older Garmins did/do but it *is* the best motorcycle specific GPS available today. If you can afford it, buy it or the 450 if you don't need the Bluetooth support.
I have been using a TT ver. 1 for 3 or 4 years now. The the interface sucks, but it actually does it's core functions pretty well. One example on the interface; Speed readout is tiny. I like to compare GPS to speedometer. Another; The qwerty keyboard is way too small. I have to use a pencil eraser to type in an address. My next GPS will not be the TT.

Its a little off but... Its a new phone supposedly will be available on 11-6-2009 Verizon droid its a Motorola phone

Its like an Iphone competitor: it does email, internet, video, camera, app store and REAL gps. 1 less device to tote around. Its not out yet though, next Friday.

Video advertisement of it

from what the video shows you can talk to it. from other things I have read about it this only works in GPS. would be a little tough on a motorcycle but anyways, Another idea to look at. Free map updates too, its uses google maps.

I have never had a cell phone but i want the remote internet device part, + GPS would be cool. Its a phone so I guess if it rang i might answer...

Has anyone had experience with the 640, that unit looks like the ticket. I am assuming it to be an uprade to the 486 platform.