Garmin Zumo 550 + GXM30

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
So I have cRzy8 (feejer) and Wabs (DL650).

One Zumo 550 + GXM30 antennae on cRzy8. Getting tired of moving GXM30 hockey puck ant to and fro between bikes. Have the wiring 'embedded' on cRzy8. Tie raps, nicely routed, yada yada.

Buy new GXM30 from nice board member who is honorable and holds up his end of the deal. No probs there, actually, Kudos.

Little do I know that --

To Xm Radio folks, the GXM30 hockey puck is a NEW [SIZE=12pt]receiver[/SIZE], not just another antennae and as such...

[SIZE=12pt]you must pay, suckah, you must pay..[/SIZE]

OK, sure, it's 1/2 price.. but phook. Half is still 90 plus USD per year.

Posted up just in case you might be in the same situation.

In my best TWN voice :****:

Normally, this would not be a big deal - but right now, $$$ count. Double :****:

Not sure right now which option to take - resell brand new Rx and put up with moving 1 Rx between 2 bikes or just biting the financial bullet..

I feel your pain. I don't ride daily like I used to, but I want to keep XM on the bike for when I do ride. Thus, I either have to pay for it in the car AND bike, or switch them out constantly.

The good news is you can now get Howard Stern on XM, bad news is it will cost you about 6 bucks a month per bike.......

you can do it on a monthly deal Don you don't have to cough it up all at once do you?

R

So I have cRzy8 (feejer) and Wabs (DL650).
One Zumo 550 + GXM30 antennae on cRzy8. Getting tired of moving GXM30 hockey puck ant to and fro between bikes. Have the wiring 'embedded' on cRzy8. Tie raps, nicely routed, yada yada.

Buy new GXM30 from nice board member who is honorable and holds up his end of the deal. No probs there, actually, Kudos.

Little do I know that --

To Xm Radio folks, the GXM30 hockey puck is a NEW [SIZE=12pt]receiver[/SIZE], not just another antennae and as such...

[SIZE=12pt]you must pay, suckah, you must pay..[/SIZE]

OK, sure, it's 1/2 price.. but phook. Half is still 90 plus USD per year.

Posted up just in case you might be in the same situation.

In my best TWN voice :****:

Normally, this would not be a big deal - but right now, $$$ count. Double :****:

Not sure right now which option to take - resell brand new Rx and put up with moving 1 Rx between 2 bikes or just biting the financial bullet..
Another option?

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...st&p=547536

This was done to make it easy to quickly remove and install the Zumo and GXM30 as one unit. With just another power connecter and audio cord on second bike, it would only take seconds to swap from one bike to the other.

Most people dont realize that the Zumo is just the front end interface for the gxm receiver. So yeah, it sucks, but each gxm receiver has to have its own subscription.