Garmin Zumo 550 tips needed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zolton

Reaction score
I've got a last minute situation. I'm leaving on a week long trip in two days and have a new Zumo 550 which I haven't had much of a chance to figure out yet. I know these things are great for telling you how to get somewhere but how do you tell it which route YOU want to take? I'm traveling through the hills and mountains of upstate NY and want to program in the route I want to take then use the GPS to tell me which turns to make en route.

I know that motorcyclists would use their GPS for this application the most so any tips would be appreciated. :)

Two Three ways.

(1) Plan a route in Mapsource (came with your GPS), save and download to GARMIN.

(2) On the device, save waypoints (favorites), start with your starting location and ending location, then work through the map view and make adjustments by adding points(favorites) as via points.

(3) Create waypoints/favorites of places _along your route_ and simply navigate to them in the order you desire. This let's you bail, or skip places as needed.

-hope that helps.

You could also turn on avoidances, and enable the avoidance to skip highways. This will route you to your destination via secondary roads only. Great for getting moving quickly and avoiding highways when you are open to options, so long as its not the interstate.