Garmin Zumo 665 GXM 40 question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSaul

Reaction score
Garmin Zumo 665 LM GXM40 magnetic base. My question is do you need to keep the magnetic base on the GXM40 antenna for any reason if you hard mount this? I have read others have had issues if this xm puck is too close to the GPS; I somehow think the proximity of the magnet in the base could attribute to this.... thoughts......

Garmin Zumo 665 LM GXM40 magnetic base. My question is do you need to keep the magnetic base on the GXM40 antenna for any reason if you hard mount this? I have read others have had issues if this xm puck is too close to the GPS; I somehow think the proximity of the magnet in the base could attribute to this.... thoughts......
I don't know on this one,but for my 550 the XM antenna is mounted about 2 inches in front of the GPS cradle on the shelf I have

I removed the magnet and mounted the XM puck straight to the shelf. It just made me think that some of the interference issues I have heard of may be related.

I've had a 665 with gmx 40 puck on my bike for two years. The 40 isn't like the 30 (which you can mount right next to the gps). The 40 needs to be as far away as possible. I have my gxm40 mounted on-top of my top box. Works fine.

You only need the magnetic base if you want to use it. You can go with adhesive, or the mag mount. I actually chose to drill small holes through the lid on my top-box and mounted the puck with screws. As I said, it works fine. My only complaint it that the satellite loses signal strength when I pass under a stand of trees or anywhere you don't have direct line of sight to blue sky.

Otherwise, works as expected. MAKE SURE YOU CALL SIRIUS XM AND ASK FOR 6 MONTHS FOR $25. DON'T LET THEM BS YOU INTO ANYTHING CLOSE TO FULL PRICE.

The "antenna too close" issue is about Bluetooth. If everything is hardwired, you can mount the puck on top of the GPS or anywhere else you like. If you want to have a Bluetooth connection, say to helmet speakers, then the puck needs to be about 18/24" away from the GPS.

-Steve

The "antenna too close" issue is about Bluetooth. If everything is hardwired, you can mount the puck on top of the GPS or anywhere else you like. If you want to have a Bluetooth connection, say to helmet speakers, then the puck needs to be about 18/24" away from the GPS.-Steve
I will disagree with this one. I used a Garmin 2820 & GXM 30 for 10 years with it mounted on a plate attached right to the GPS with no reception issues. As soon as I bought my 665LM & tried mounting the GXM 40 that came with it in the same place (same hard wire mounting) my reception was in & out every 3 seconds. I moved the GXM 40 8 inches away to my front accessory shelf & bingo; full reception all the time, even with the magnet still attached to the bottom.

A question,why you need in US an external gps antenna?In Europe we not need an external antenna,no problem with the signal.

The GXM40 puck is not just the antenna but the entire XM receiver. I have mine mounted under the passenger seat and even when I put my Motofizz bag over it I still get good reception (except when line of sight is interrupted as said by others).