Garmin Zumo 665 Questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclemed

Reaction score
Hi All

Recently bought a Zumo 665 to replace one of my two Zumo 550's. I have two gripes and wondering if I missed a setting or if a product change.

1. The Zumo 550 would always remain locked to the zoom setting (500ft for instance) and return to the same zoom if I turned off the unit, went to XM Radio or weather and back to map. The 665 seems to zoom out anytime you leave the map screen or turn odf the unit. I tried auto zoom on and off and no change.

2. The 550 displays the upcoming road or cross street in the green bar at the top of the map. The 665 displays the road you are driving on. I would rather have the cross street. My Acura shows the road currently on and they source from Garmin so I suspect that is what the newer software does.

Thanks

I have a 660 and it shows the road I'm on when just driving around. When I'm navigating to a destination it shows the next turn and distance to it.

I believe there are 3 2 settings on the 660 for zoom. I will check tomorrow. I know you can change how it works. I believe I have mine set to off.

Edit: after doing some google searches it seems it is just an on / Off choice. Only two settings.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
And sometimes in no pattern that I ever figured out, my 660 will tell me something to the effect of "Next Intersection such and such". I cannot even remember the exact wording.

I named all my Garmins "Marilyn" because the chastising voice reminds me of a Marilyn. And because they are so unpredictable and just so...

Sorry I cannot give you a definitive answer but I do know the capability is in there somewhere.

change the 660 to car setting instead of motorcycle, you'll get the green bar at the top with directions, It;s turned off in motorcycle mode because what biker has the time or attention span to manually go through directions turn by turn, Or try it in your car mount.

change the 660 to car setting instead of motorcycle, you'll get the green bar at the top with directions, It;s turned off in motorcycle mode because what biker has the time or attention span to manually go through directions turn by turn, Or try it in your car mount.
THAT is where it happened! I knew I had seen it but could not recall where or why. It happens when I use it in the truck. My dumb little mind never put that together.

Thanks blasoff, thank you very much. I feel both better and worse now. At least I learned something.

Sorry guys, maybe I was not clear. It is in car mode since I have not used it on the bike yet. I also meant when just driving around and not navigating. The green bar shows road I am on where the 550 shows the road I am on but changed to cross street when approaching it and back to current road when you pass it. I miss that cross street function. I emailed Garnin and will let you know what they say.

Hope you figure it out but I'm glad mine shows the road I'm on since where I ride there are usually signs naming the cross streets but rarely anything with the road I'm actually on!

Plus it helps when roads change names unexpectedly.