GARMIN ZUMO GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floridafeeger

Reaction score
I have missed over a months worth of GPS when my Lowrance I500C failed on me and Lowrance repair cannot seem to get their act together, so out of frustration I am dumping the Lowrance and getting ready to get me something better.

Anyone know much about the Garmin Zumo unit? It looks promising from the writeups. I am aware of all the other choices listed on the forum - specifically wanting to know as much data and information I can find out about the ZUMO in preparation of purchase.

Any negative comments welcomed too, I don't want another problem child like the Lowrance I500C for my Fjr!

You'll be waiting about 2 months before you get one.

It's essentially a waterproof version of the Nuvi with a user interface that's tailored to left-handed, gloved operation.

One feature they have is the fuel gauge - but that's an estimate based on information you provide. The antitheft is outright weird - it isn't a deterrent, but rather renders the unit useless to the thief - UNLESS he never turns it off.

My suggestion would be to buy a 2820 if you want the XM and the Bluetooth. Or buy a 378/478 if you want battery operation and a very high res display.

-send a PM to the member: 04FJR4ME

He's the resident GPS expert; tests various units, provides great information, etc etc.

I have missed over a months worth of GPS when my Lowrance I500C failed on me and Lowrance repair cannot seem to get their act together, so out of frustration I am dumping the Lowrance and getting ready to get me something better.
Anyone know much about the Garmin Zumo unit? It looks promising from the writeups. I am aware of all the other choices listed on the forum - specifically wanting to know as much data and information I can find out about the ZUMO in preparation of purchase.

Any negative comments welcomed too, I don't want another problem child like the Lowrance I500C for my Fjr!
I lost my IWAY 500 when I decided to play GPS basketball one day along Texas HWY 290!

I replaced it with a Garmin 2730 and I LOVE IT!

Best Regards,

Shane

If you think you will want XM get the 2730, it is the ONLY Garmin model that comes standard with the $250 XM antenna. All others are optional (2820, Zumo, etc...)