Garmin Zumo + Starcom adv

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilmedic13

Reaction score
After a lot of research and # crunching, which I have plenty of time for now, I've decided this is the best combo for me AND wifey. I'm sick of guessing what going on behind me and relying on hand signals, s I figured WTH. The only real question I have right now is if it's a pretty clean setup.

I do plan on going w/ the hard mounted receptacles for our plugs, this way it's not such a pain for me or her to get on and be ready. I've seen a few people w/ comm systems that look like they've been attacked by Giant Squids with all the cords comin outta everywhere. I'm hoping this will be as messless as possible seeing as I can't walk and talk w/o something happening this year :glare: .I also plan on going w/ the XM too, does anyone have any pics of the aforementioned combo by chance? Just hoping for some feedback, tahnks.

I'm seriously considering adding a Zumo shortly...

As for the hard receptacles, I'm not really sure there is a need, but I suppose it's where you mount it. Mine is under the drivers seat (could be passenger), I have an 06. There is a crack in the plastic near the grab handle, the cord for the Pillion fits right through there in that crack and I have it velcro strapped to the grab bar. I can easily undo it if need be. The front for me comes out of the plastic by the tank near my left leg just above the shifter linkage n stuff.

I can and will take photos later if you want. I would suggest going ahead and getting the Push-To-Talk that makes things way easier to set up and you don't need to screw with the VOX.

Talk to Jeff at Bike Effects he'll hook you up.

-MD

You will like the Starcom. I just got the Advance 1. I mounted it Sunday morning and ran a couple hundred miles. I FINALLY know what those mysterious slaps and hand signals mean... :glare: You should use ear plugs, and one brief test at bug 2 was completely successful. Talk very quietly or you will blow yer ears out. The ear plugs allow you to talk more normally. VOX is terrific.

The electric stuff usually causes me to put my therapist back on speed dial, but on the '07 under the left side cover the license plate light wires are right there, by themselves, hot and ground, with a plug right in the middle of the run. I tapped in there and for now I just tucked the unit under the bungee under the seat, until I can figure out where I want to zip-tie it.

Jeff at Sportbikeeffects has been very cooperative. He has my cell phone cable and GMRS cable on back order.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same setup and just got back from a long trip around Lake Michigan. Let me tell you that I was thrilled with the Zumo and Starcom combination. The MP3 on the Zumo works great, the bluetooth connection to the phone allowed for crystal clear communication to my wife at home. And within a couple of quick adjustments I was able to find volume and mic settings that allowed to hear everything while wearing earplugs.

The only thing that I now need a solution to is the bike-to-bike communications. My riding buddy and I used our cheap Motorola radios and they only worked at speeds under 35. Would love to find something that allows communication at higher speeds.

After a lot of research and # crunching, which I have plenty of time for now, I've decided this is the best combo for me AND wifey. I'm sick of guessing what going on behind me and relying on hand signals, s I figured WTH. The only real question I have right now is if it's a pretty clean setup.
I do plan on going w/ the hard mounted receptacles for our plugs, this way it's not such a pain for me or her to get on and be ready. I've seen a few people w/ comm systems that look like they've been attacked by Giant Squids with all the cords comin outta everywhere. I'm hoping this will be as messless as possible seeing as I can't walk and talk w/o something happening this year :glare: .I also plan on going w/ the XM too, does anyone have any pics of the aforementioned combo by chance? Just hoping for some feedback, tahnks.
here is the Zumo on the techmount

Picture262.jpg

This is the starcom located under the front seat. The split loom on the bottom of the picture is the audio cable, and the loom on the top on the picture is the 10 ga power to the fuse block under the seat.

Picture260.jpg

The fuse block install under the rear seat. I took alot of time making this look like a clean install. I used to install High end car audio systems and learnded to keep audio cable away from power cables. The fuse block has 10 ga wire running from the battery ( fused at the battery of course) to the fuse block itself. Then the Zumo and the starcom get its power from the fuse block.

Picture247.jpg

The looped cord under the rear seat is the passenger plug for the starcom. When my wife rides with me, we will just pull it up between the seats for her.

Picture248.jpg

one more close up of the fuse block under the rear seat.

At this time the drivers audio plug comes out the left side of the bike down near the gas tank, but i don't like this setup and ordered a bulkhead mount that will most likely mount under my hazard switch on the left fairing.

Give Sportbike Effects a call, Jeff there has a lot of knowlege and back ground using the zumo and I think it's the Autocom. I'm not using either one but I remember him telling me one of them, Starcom or Autocom, doesn't play nice with the zumo.

Jeff is a fellow feejer, gives a discount, and has great customer service!

Telephone:

Give Sportbike Effects a call, Jeff there has a lot of knowlege and back ground using the zumo and I think it's the Autocom. I'm not using either one but I remember him telling me one of them, Starcom or Autocom, doesn't play nice with the zumo.

Jeff is a fellow feejer, gives a discount, and has great customer service!

Telephone:

The Starcom plays great with the zumo (happy new zumo owner here) but over on the zumo forum there seems to be a lot of grief with the zumo-Autocom combination.

Add 1 more happy customer to Jeffs feindish assimilation plan. :yahoo:
+1

I just ordered similar goodies, tech mount and the necessary cables to integrate a Zumo.

I opted for the longer shaft since I'll be using a tank bag most of the time, I'll post pics when it's done.

Wh00t!

+1

I just ordered similar goodies, tech mount and the necessary cables to integrate a Zumo.

I opted for the longer shaft since I'll be using a tank bag most of the time, I'll post pics when it's done.

Wh00t!
Thats the reason I have it in the up position as opposed to the down position. I have a maresse tank bag big enough to fit a full face helmet and joe rocket jacket with the back guard removed when its expanded. The way it is clears the tank bag without obstructing the gagues.

+1

Wh00t!
Thats the reason I have it in the up position as opposed to the down position. I have a maresse tank bag big enough to fit a full face helmet and joe rocket jacket with the back guard removed when its expanded. The way it is clears the tank bag without obstructing the gagues.
How about a Pilot's eye view picture?

+1

Wh00t!
How about a Pilot's eye view picture?
Will try to get one tonight, If the rain decided to let up here in Massachusetts :glare: