Gas Cap Mounted Tank Bags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiderCoach Lar

FJRm'd and dangerous
Reaction score
Been shopping for a tank bag that will mount to the gas cap of my '03 (I don't want anything touching my tank!). I have only found two manufacturers: SW-MOTECH and Big Mak Accesories. Has anyone had experience with either of these or know of others I should be considering? Also, is there a down side to this type of mounting system that I'm not seeing?

I had a long chat with the factory rep and a very close look at the SW-Motech products at Americade.

They look to be excellent products.

About the only suggestion I can offer is that you look at the soon-to-be-released electricfied attachment ring. It will allow you to bring quick-disconnect power to your tank bag - very cool. Unformtunately it hasn't arrived on our shores yet.

Marsee makes these for BMWs. Awesome product. Not sure if they're available yet for other bikes.

There is also the Tank Locker by LuggageLocker. You can see it HERE.

It looks pretty cool, but I have no direct experience with it. I do have one of their tail bags that I have been very happy with.

I looked at the Big Mak system. I really liked it, but for me there was one big problem. I mount my GPS on a stemstand off the stemnut which would prevent the Big Mak bag from hinging forward as designed. :( And I am not willing to give up that location for the GPS. I like it there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I been looking at this one.... from SW-Motech.... Smitty
tank bag
I have a Engage from Mo-tech and mostly love it. If I had to do it again I would get the (new) larger one, it wasn't available when I bought mine.The adapter ring takes up inside space so it's not as big as it looks. I use it every day and the mounting is fast and easy and the quality of the bag is very good.

The map case is great and actually holds a map without crumbling it. I wouldn't buy the GPS mount unless I had a Garmin, they state it holds many styles but I had to modified it to fit mine. They say a new one is coming that is going to be more universal, time will tell. There a little pricey $250 for ring, map case, GPS and bag but I love the fact that nothing touches my tank.

I have a Big Mak tank bag and am very happy with it. If you are still interested I can email some pictures. Just let me know.

Dave

Marsee makes these for BMWs. Awesome product. Not sure if they're available yet for other bikes.

I called Marsee last week about this item. They only make them for the BMW, Ducati, and Triumphs right now. I know the BMW bolt pattern doesn't match the FJR...does anyone know off hand if the Duc or Trump share the same filler cap as the FJR?

A friend has one on her RT...extremely functional.

PTP

I called Marsee last week about this item. They only make them for the BMW, Ducati, and Triumphs right now. I know the BMW bolt pattern doesn't match the FJR...does anyone know off hand if the Duc or Trump share the same filler cap as the FJR?

A friend has one on her RT...extremely functional.

PTP
Check twistedthrottle.com, they sell Motech's wich use mounting rings. I beleive they have a list of what fit's what for there application's.

After I saw the plastic bolt on mount on an FJR at WFO 4, I got the information from the Luggage Locker. I bought one & used it WFO 5 & 1K. I am happy with it. I didn't want anything touching the tank paint on Crystal. I got the waterproff & so far it hasn't leaked. I keep the removal key on my neck. TJ

https://www.luggagelocker.com/