Gas Drip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrloveland

Reaction score
I have an 05 FJR ABS.

When I park it in the sun at work it will be dripping gas out one of the three tubings by the time I get off work at 2:30 pm. Probably the vent tubing.

It will do it from a 1/3 of a tank and on up.

As soon as I fire it up.....it stops instantly.

Anyone else have this problem?

Anyone know what is causing it?

Does any one know a cure?

Last edited by a moderator:
The first thing I would do is pull the seat and tank, then verify that there are no hoses or lines that are pinched off, causing pressure to build up in the tank. Verify that the hoses are routed correctly. If that doesn't lead anywhere, then fill the tank and park in the hot sun. Get out a lawn chair and your favorite beverage and see which leaks first, you or the bike. :p Seriously, you have to find out exactly where the leak is coming from. Could it be the vent hose is pinched off, causing pressure in the tank to push fuel out the overflow tube? This could explain why starting the bike makes it go away, since the fuel pump would pull some fuel out and drop the pressure in the tank.

Oh, and use extreme caution with a bike that's leaking fuel. If that stuff gets on hot parts you may end up with a really expensive weinie roast! Possibly in more ways than one! :blink:

You might want to check to make sure that the orange rubber vent "nipple" on the rear of the fuel filler cap is installed correctly. Mine sort of half popped out and almost fell into the tank when I started to fill it up. I suppose that, if the nipple were gone, the fuel might evaporate faster and condense inside the (cooler) vent hose and drip out on the ground.

I'm probably wrong but it only takes a second to look. BTW, I decided that trying to reseat the nipple was going to be a PITA, so I just removed the fuel filler cap and reinstalled the nipple the easy way.

Cheers,

Jim