Gas fumes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjs

Reaction score
Recently I've been smelling gas on my 06. :dribble:

It seems to happen when stopping and starting off slowly or off and on the gas with very little throttle.

I do not smell gas if I take off real fast.

Anybody have some ideas or a similar problem?

Recently I've been smelling gas on my 06. :dribble:
It seems to happen when stopping and starting off slowly or off and on the gas with very little throttle.

I do not smell gas if I take off real fast.

Anybody have some ideas or a similar problem?
mjs, did you recently pull the tank for any reason? Is the tank full, or partial?

Also - if you have a California bike, it's possible to overfill the tank, with the overflow moving into the charcoal cannister - or out the overflow tube. Could this be related?

Not a Calif. bike

Dealer says that he doesn't have any idea what it could be and to bring it in

he also said that there are no service bulletins for this problem

Doesn't seem to matter if the tank is full or nearly empty, tank wasn't recently removed

Seems to be worse in warmer weather

3000 miles on it

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a Calif. bike
Dealer says that he doesn't have any idea what it could be and to bring it in

he also said that there are no service bulletins for this problem

Doesn't seem to matter if the tank is full or nearly empty, tank wasn't recently removed

Seems to be worse in warmer weather

3000 miles on it
Ramblings - excuse me, I'm thinking via my keyboard - - -

Do you smell gas after parking - ?

Does it idle smooth?

Any performance issues? (flat at mid to high rpm)

you have raw gas somewhere - warmer weather = faster vaporization= stronger odor.

Refried Beans and Beer Syndrome? Oh, wait, you're asking about the bike, right?

Check all the fuel line connections, then the lines themselves. Failing that, the vent hoses for blockage. Do you have a tell-tale sign of gas residue about the fill? Tank bag get gas on it? Come to think of it, didn't radman post something about a tank bag over the filler being able to prevent venting or sumpin' like that?

thanks for all of the input

I just checked the vent and drain hose connections, ok

bike seems to be running rough right off of idle, I'm beginning to think that it

has something to do with the injection system

I won't be able top get it into the shop till the end of the week,

no loaner bikes and no way to get back home, that sucks

thanks again to you all

mike

Refried Beans and Beer Syndrome? Oh, wait, you're asking about the bike, right?
Check all the fuel line connections, then the lines themselves. Failing that, the vent hoses for blockage. Do you have a tell-tale sign of gas residue about the fill? Tank bag get gas on it? Come to think of it, didn't radman post something about a tank bag over the filler being able to prevent venting or sumpin' like that?
Good stuff, Nut - especially the fuel line connection - (not to mention the refried beans and beer, but that's another post, eh? ) :huh:

mjs, the 06 has a single fuel line from the tank to the FI rail - you can easily expose this connection on the left side of the bike - just remove the 'wrap around' silver panel from the back of the tank, and you should be able to see it - if it's leaking, you will be able to tell from residue and/or that lovely wet look.

yeah, my '06 does the same thing.

Initially I checked all around but found nothing.

I figured its just the sloshing effect with some fumes out the vent hole.

I kinda like the smell of gasoline anyway, especially when I got the Partagas fired up.