Gas Guage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR Bill

Reaction score
Bet this will go to NEPRT real quick but my poor search skills didn't get me anywhere. My 2009 gets to the last flashing segment at around 200 miles. I"m averaging around 50 MPG so it tops off with around 4 gallons, which means there was about 2.6 gallons remaining. That's one hell of a reserve. is this a common problem? Does anyone know what usable fuel is available on this 6.6 gallon tank. I'd like to know as the gas guage seems to be poorly calibrated and want to know when I only have about one gallon of usable fuel remaining before flameout.

Thanks, Bill

Unlike my old Connie, pretty much all 6.6 gallons (or perhaps even slightly more) is useable on the FJR. Don't ask me how I know.

Have you have taken your fuel pump out? If you did and bent the float arm at some point that will throw the calibration off.

When does your gauge start flashing? While riding down the road, or when turning on the ignition when it's on it's sidestand?

Is it still under warranty?

Only last 1.1 gallons or so is supposed to be the 'virtual reserve', so you are definitely hitting it early.

As for Fred, common? I didn't realize that. Is this a Gen II thing?

That's a pretty common issue. The solution is to pull the fuel pump out of the tank and tweak the bends in the float lever wire. It's a trial and error process and you have to repeat it several times. It was a real annoyance to me and I had mine out and in six times. But, it is now dead on.

It's somewhat intuitive. The first time you take it out, sit and study it for a half hour, thinking about what you are trying to achieve and how the float moves as the fuel level changes. That will give you a starting point

Dan

...As for Fred, common? I didn't realize that. Is this a Gen II thing?
From what I've seen, yes. It may have something to do with the fuel pump changes between the Gen I and Gen II where the Gen II pump should have had a tweak to the sending unit when they eliminated the fuel return line. Or, perhaps is is just inconsistent parts.

My Gen I has recently been returning a very consistent 44 mpg. This is based on filling the tank as close to the same level as possible, then actually calculating miles driven by fuel used over many tanks of gas. My tank does indeed take all of the 6.6 gallons. Let's see -- 44 mpg * 6.6 gallons = theoretical range of 290 miles to flame-out. Regardless of where my gauge starts flashing I know my range. My Gen I gauge starts flashing when I have about 1.4 gallons remaining which = 61 miles.

FWIW, I couldn't start my FJR on the side stand this morning because there was so little gas that the fuel pickup was sucking wind. I put in 6.3 gallons so I was cutting it a bit close.

Only common on 2nd gens, FWIW
:p

Damn, too late... :(
Well good answers, Thanks:

1) It's common 2) Most of the 6.6 gallons is usable 3) Warranty miight cover it. From the previous owner I inherited a warranty valid to 2013. I'll go bother the dealer until he makes it right.

Thanks, Bill

Damn, can't believe this went to NEPRT instantly...these moderators are Hot stuff.

I have had 4 FJR's and all have done about the same thing. There is a little over 2 gallons left when it starts flashing. If you check your mileage when you fill up by doing the math you will be certain of the fuel left in the tank and you will know how far you can actually go. I always go with the idea that the tank holds 6 gallons which leave .6 in reserve. I do not rely only on the bikes computer. In other words if you were getting 45 MPG times 6 you would need fuel by 270 miles. Doing the math yourself is the only true way to know.

Why bother changing it? Mine does the same thing.

Using the odometer is much more accurate then the fuel gauge.

I get between 45 and 50 mpg so when the trip starts getting close to 250 miles I start looking for fuel.

The fuel gauge has been doing the blinking thing for 40 or 50 miles at that point.

I have had 4 FJR's and all have done about the same thing. There is a little over 2 gallons left when it starts flashing. If you check your mileage when you fill up by doing the math you will be certain of the fuel left in the tank and you will know how far you can actually go. I always go with the idea that the tank holds 6 gallons which leave .6 in reserve. I do not rely only on the bikes computer. In other words if you were getting 45 MPG times 6 you would need fuel by 270 miles. Doing the math yourself is the only true way to know.
Amen. Responses on this thread give me confidence the bike has over 6 gallons of usable fuel and now I know how to manage the situation. Been using the odometer for decades on previous bikes to determine time to fill up. The only way I'll try to fix the problem is if its covered by warranty. If not, no sweat.

Thanks, Bill

You should get an accumulated mileage count that starts when the reserve starts flashing. Should be 5 litres left.... take a spare fuel bottle with you when you want to test..... mine will go 100 kms (62 miles) or a tad more before she sputters out on the side stand.......

My '09 starts flashing about 200 miles. The closest I got to running out was 265 miles and put 6.1 gallons in it. The last 5 miles of that was uphill and I accelerated a little too quick and it coughed on me, but I had plenty left.

My 04 was closer to correct than my 08. It has to be a Gen 2 thing. My Vmax doesn't have any kind of a gas gauge. You have to go by the odometer. Probably a good idea on the FJR wheather you are watching the fuel gauge or not.

GP

Isn't it bad for a fuel pump to run dry?

I thought you never wanted to run a car dry, in order to keep the pump lubed.

So, If the FJR has an in-tank pump, has anybody wreaked it by running out of gas?

Isn't it bad for a fuel pump to run dry?
I thought you never wanted to run a car dry, in order to keep the pump lubed.

So, If the FJR has an in-tank pump, has anybody wreaked it by running out of gas?
Yes, yes, no. Been discussed a few times, here are a couple. Lots of words but few facts.

Previous discussion #1

Previous discussion #2

I can say with certainty that running some models of cars empty will indeed kill the fuel pump. I don't recall ever hearing about a bike that fried a pump, but I only have this little puddle Forum to draw from.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread necromancy...but at least I searched first :p

I consistantly fill up between .5 and 15 miles after the reserve fuel thing starts flashing, and Ive never put more than 5 gallons in my tank. I believe its a 2 gallon reserve. At least for GenII.

I ran 285 miles and pumped in just under 5.75 gallons, the reserve started flashing right at 210 miles. I run above 5500 feet all the time and average around 49/50 mpg. I'm going to carry an extra gallon and run it empty so I will know just how far I can go before pushing it, I mean really pushing it, like to the next gas station. :rolleyes:

I experimented and my '07 gave me 49.9 miles on the little "F" reserve gauge before it died. I had a 1/2 gal jug on the back, so I pulled over and put that in. One thing with fuel injection is there's absolutely no sputtering or other warning like there is with carburetors. One moment it's full power, the next is full drag.