Gas Leak

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex-Gerrit

Reaction score
Recently (within the last week) I have noticed a strong gas odor coming from my '04 FJR. This past Sunday, I parked the bike on it's kickstand which I rarely do and noticed gas dripping from the left side of the bike. Today I decided to lift the gas tank up to inspect for leaks. It appeared as though the screws that hold the fuel pump in place were wet from gas. After further inspection, it appeared as though one of the gas tank vent tubes was crimped. I checked the screws that hold the fuel pump in place, they are all tight. There doesn't appear to be any issues with the fuel lines. Before this gas leak issue occured, I noticed a lot of pressure build up in the tank, when I go to fill it up. Should I try uncrimping the vent tube and see what happens? Is there a possibilit the fuel pump gasket may need to be replaced? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

The gas needs room to expand and contract, the crimped vent has put the tank under a lot of pressure. There have been cases where tanks have been dented from the pressure. I would replace the gasket, simple and cheap enough.

Here's a good place to start. Clicky
There are others.
Thanks Capt. Bob! It sounds like this may very well be the problem. My tank sometimes would build up so much pressure, it was difficult to open the tank filler cap.

The gas needs room to expand and contract, the crimped vent has put the tank under a lot of pressure. There have been cases where tanks have been dented from the pressure. I would replace the gasket, simple and cheap enough.

Thanks v65, I will try replacing the gasket also.

I went through the same thing make sure your vent hoses arent bent or stopped up!!! It will not be your fuel pump gasket. Once you fix this problem your tank will not make the sucking sound!!!

I went through the same thing make sure your vent hoses arent bent or stopped up!!! It will not be your fuel pump gasket. Once you fix this problem your tank will not make the sucking sound!!!
Besides....it's not a gasket, it's an O-ring.

Agreed that it is not the O-ring. Make sure all the vent hoses and tubes are un-kinked and breathe freely. My guess is that your problems will disappear.

About a week ago the sidestand folded up while I was moving my FJR in the garage, I made a grab for it with my left arm but the angle was wrong resulting in an instant sprain and all I could do was let it go. Lucky enough it ended up only down about 45 degrees suspended by some fairly soft junk that held it. With my arm messed up I couldn't pull the bike back up and ran into the house to get help from my teenager who just happened to have his gang with him. We went back to the garage and pulled the bike up with no harm at all.

However, I had just gassed it and a few ounces leaked out of the tank. I cleaned this up no problem even with only one arm, but it seemed to leak from the vacinity of the keyhole on the top of the tank. This isn't right is it, seems pretty dangerous? Any ideas what might be the problem?

Thanks, and if this was covered before somewhere I couldn't find it with the search or though the clicky's, though there was some great stuff that will help me find the problem.