Geelong - Import to USA?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

double_entendre

Reaction score
I've been trading emails with Geelong about their fender extender and rear hugger for my '05. They're quoting a price of AUS$567 which is about US$419 right now.

The question is what will I have to give our beloved government B) for the privilege of having them shipped here to the states. Anyone know or able to point me somewhere? I asked Geelong, but they don't know and don't have a US distributor.

Thanks!

Bob

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Just a thought: How about Canada? (United Kingdom, you know) Do they have a company in Canada they do business with? I don't think there's any duty on parts from Canada to USA.

I bought the front fender extender and tank shield from them this summer ,, good communication and the product is great!!!!!

I do not belive I paid as much as you are talking about ,, and that may have some bearing on it ,, but I do not belive I paid any type of import fee ,, I would have to look it up in my records but I am pretty sure I did not pay import or customs fees ,,

just their cost and shipping !!

Likewise, I've purchased parts from other countries via EBAY and just had them shipped to me via UPS or USPS. Haven't had a problem.

Just a thought: How about Canada? (United Kingdom, you know) Do they have a company in Canada they do business with? I don't think there's any duty on parts from Canada to USA.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh! You mean the 51st state. :lol:

That's a thought too. Who sells 'em up there? And of the Staters that ordered 'em, did you just have 'em shipped here from Australia? What did you pay? (Roughly if you don't want it public, or feel free to email/PM me.) What did you do with your license plate after you installed the rear hugger?

Bob

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I don't think that's quite right. I don't think that there's a duty on importing things MADE in Canuckistan into the US. I'm pretty sure that you can't do an end around by bringing a product made elsewhere into the US via Canada. If that were true, they'd just close the ports in Seattle and Portland and just bring everything in through Vancouver BC.

You can also get the GST (National Sales Tax) back but not, as I recall, the PST (Provincial Sales Tax).

It's been a while since I brought anything of value back from the Great White North so YMMV.

Cheers,

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
When I get stuff from Bike Johnny in the UK there's no import tax. I don't think they'll be any from Oz either.

I live 10 min from them, and my office is 2 min from them, not that this has any bearing on your issue. The tank protectors were moulded on my bike, so they have great heritage. My avatar shows the first set - mine! (Doesn't a black bike just look so good)

So far, going the other way, I haven't paid any duty on parts bought from the UK (BikeJohnny) or the USA - Wilbers & Spiegler.

I hope you get it all duty-free. Maybe they can say it comes from me as a gift?

Last edited by a moderator:
Assessing and paying duty: www.customs.gov "Most personal shipments worth up to $200, and gift packages worth up to $100, will pass duty free as long as the recipient does not receive multiple packages in a single day whose cumulative value is more than these amounts."

I don't think that's quite right. I don't think that there's a duty on importing things MADE in Canuckistan into the US. I'm pretty sure that you can't do an end around by bringing a product made elsewhere into the US via Canada. If that were true, they'd just close the ports in Seattle and Portland and just bring everything in through Vancouver BC.

You can also get the GST (National Sales Tax) back but not, as I recall, the PST (Provincial Sales Tax).

It's been a while since I brought anything of value back from the Great White North so YMMV.

Cheers,

Jim
Goods made in Canada and shipped to the U.S. are generally covered by Nafta ( North American Free Trade Agreement). When you import goods, you always have to declare country of origin. Not that we don't make the odd mistake :) )) Your problem would be a drop off point in Canada for re-shipment south. Just wouldn't be worth the cost would be my guess.

Good exported from Canada are exempt from the GST (our national sales tax - AKA the Gouge & Screw Tax).

Goods exported from B.C. do not attract our provincial sales tax but I'm not sure about other provinces.