Gen 1 front brake upgrades?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldryder

Reaction score
been riding the track bike and a crotch rocket more than usual lately and the front brake on my FJR has started feeling somewhat "wooden" in comparison.

looked it over good and everything seems fine so I'm pretty sure the "wooden" feeling is merely a perceptual thing. However, if there are brake pads that would improve the feel I'd consider that.

I know I can go to SS braided lines and might if no pads are available that will improve the feel.

Info on alternate pads or other suggestions will be appreciated.

note bike is 2005 with ABS. ABS seems to work fine based on occasional test where I try to lock up a tire on gravel.

thx

Mark in MN

Alternatively, use the Forum's search engine and type in (exactly, including the DOUBLE quotes: "brake pads" It will return ~17 pages of brake pad info. The results will be sorted by date. At the top of the page, where it shows the number of pages returned, click on the box with the >> and it will take you to the oldest posts first. When this Forum first started it was a volcano with information spewing out. Between the pages (for instance) 16 and the last page 17 you should find everything you need to know. Since it is sorted by date and you went to the earliest postings, everything you find will be just for the

Gen I.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's another link: galfer site:fjrforum.com

Some have upgraded their entire system: lines, rotors & pads.

Since you've been riding your track bikes, take into consideration the "heft" of the FJR and how much it is going to respond or not.

Just my opinion, but if you upgrade the front lines go for the 3 line kit, not the 2 line. I haven't found a good way to mount the 2 line kit without the lower triple clamp causing damage to the lines.

I switched over to Carbon Lorraine SBK pads a while back and they seem to stop a little harder than the stock pads. I do have a little squeek when I apply the brakes very lightly that I can't seem to get rid of though.