GEN I GEN II Mufflers Interchangeable?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YankeeFeejer

Reaction score
Can I use a GEN I muffler on a GEN II FJR? I know many parts are not interchangeable between Generations but I am not sure about the mufflers, any and all knowledgeable/experienced advise appreciated.

Bob St.George

Yes - I briefly put my Gen1 mufflers on my Gen2 before going to aftermarket pipes. Fit is identical. Gen1 are 2lbs lighter each side and a slightly different sound. They don't have the 3rd and 4th cat converters in them.

Yes - I briefly put my Gen1 mufflers on my Gen2 before going to aftermarket pipes. Fit is identical. Gen1 are 2lbs lighter each side and a slightly different sound. They don't have the 3rd and 4th cat converters in them.
Where did this rumor start? There are not cats in the GenII pipes. The GenI and GenII exhaust systems from the valves to the tips of the pipes are identical.

Where did this rumor start? There are not cats in the GenII pipes. The GenI and GenII exhaust systems from the valves to the tips of the pipes are identical.
I dunno!?!?!? Maybe he got one of the French restrictor-plate de-tuned engines that Yamaha uses when their production supplies run low. :blink:

;)

That is not true. In addition to a heated O2 sensor there are 4 cats compared to 2. I owned a set of both OEM pipes (I recently sold my Gen2 stockers and kept my Gen1 pipes). Gen2 exhaust pipes are 10lbs each, Gen1 are 8lbs each.

This was part of making the bike Euro-3 compliant or whatever that new standard is.

If the part numbers are the same now, it's because the new one has probably superseded the old part since they are interchangeable.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is not true. In addition to a heated O2 sensor there are 4 cats compared to 2. I owned a set of both OEM pipes (I recently sold my Gen2 stockers and kept my Gen1 pipes). Gen2 exhaust pipes are 10lbs each, Gen1 are 8lbs each.

This was part of making the bike Euro-3 compliant or whatever that new standard is.

If the part numbers are the same now, it's because the new one has probably superseded the old part since they are interchangeable.
You keep believing that!

Has anyone installed the Vance & Hines CSOne's on a Gen I? I really like the look, but Vance & Hines only list fitment on the Gen II's
If they will fit a GenII, they will fit a GenI. Except the GenII CS1 pipes for the GenIIs have 6the extra cats in them...To make the air extra clean.

You keep believing that!
From the 2006 Yamaha FJR1300 press release:

"An additional catalyst and a heated O2 sensor are located in the exhaust for increased control range and low emissions. "

I'm no expert and I ain't taking sides but that press release does not necessarily mean in the mufflers, it could be anywhere between the header collectors and the front of the mufflers. I know for a fact that there are no wires leading into the mufflers. You would need some sort of wiring to energize a heating element and you would have to have some sort of wire lead coming back from the O2 sensor to the ECU. Again, I have never weighed the cans, don't know if there are any other differences and don't want anyone mad, but I don't think there is an O2 sensor in either of the mufflers. Perhaps you guys are not communicating fully? Are you talking about the mufflers or are you talking about the entire exhaust system?

there's certainly only one o2 sensor and it is up in the headers upstream of the main cats. The Gen2 system has 4 cats compared to 2 in the Gen1 system.

Gentlemen, again not taking sides I do remember the Yamaha press release about the heated O2 sensor and additional cat. I looked up on the BikeBandit parts fiche and compared the part #'s for an '04 and an '07. They are in fact different #s for the exhaust header/cat assembly and the muffler assemblies were different part #s as well. I truly don't have a clue as to what is inside and the picture on the fiche looks identical. The original post was about the mufflers and would they interchange, I believe that answer is a yes.

:unsure:

If you take a flashlight and look carefully into the input side of a Gen ll can pass the curve you can see a portion of the honeycomb cat. It is easier to see it on the right or left side can, I dont remember which because the radius of the curve in the pipe is a little different from one can to the other.

If you take a flashlight and look carefully into the input side of a Gen ll can pass the curve you can see a portion of the honeycomb cat. It is easier to see it on the right or left side can, I dont remember which because the radius of the curve in the pipe is a little different from one can to the other.
Well I'll be damned! You learn something new everyday.

Put me in the 'dead wrong' category on this topic. :blink:

Well I'll be damned! You learn something new everyday.

Put me in the 'dead wrong' category on this topic. :blink:
GreggieM, can we pretty please put HotRodZilla in the "Dumb Ass" category on this topic! :blink: