Gen I V Stream windshield on a diet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jemride

Reaction score
I tried the V Stream windshield but was not completely happy. My main issue was that it was a bit too hot for FL plus was not crazy about the look...

I tried selling but no luck so I decided to try my luck trimming it with my Roto-Zip. :unsure:

I must say I am pretty happy with the results and the new look.

I did not yet get a chance to try it on the bike yet but a few people asked me to post some pictures.

Below are a few.

jemride

101_3528a.jpg

101_3526a.jpg

101_3529a.jpg

101_3530a.jpg

101_3531a.jpg

OK I gotta ask, Did you freehand that with the Roto Zip? Did the edges come out reasonably clean or did they require a significant amount to polishing? Just curious.

Thanks,

Dave

OK I gotta ask, Did you freehand that with the Roto Zip? Did the edges come out reasonably clean or did they require a significant amount to polishing? Just curious.
Thanks,

Dave
Hello Dave,

I first wrapped the windshield with 2" painter masking tape, then drew a line where I wanted to make the cut. It was a bit tricky to get both sides simmetrical, but like they say measure twice and cut once.

The important thing is to have a line drawn that you can follow with the Roto Zip. Otherwise I don't think it would come out right. I used the slower speed on the Roto ZIp and tried to cut as slowly as possible. When going too fast it tended to cause some melting of the plastic. You may see a bit of this anyway but it is easily cleaned with the sanding.

For the edges I used a sheet pad sander (type that vibrates) and three levels of grit paper (coarse to fine). After the fine sanding I used a polishimg cream. This last step was maybe not necessary but it actually came out smoother than the original edges.

Regards,

Julio