Gen I with heated grips and a throttle lock?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTMnet

Reaction score
Hello,

I had a dealership try to install a throttle lock and they determined that it would not fit with my aftermarket heated grips. I don't remember the brand or model of the throttle lock.

Any ideas? Anyone have heated grips with a throttle lock?

I am also considering the www.MCcruise.com product.

I have heated grips and use the Manic Salemander throttle lock (bar end twist type), like a Throttle Meister but better. Some locks that are like a clamp you throw it with your thumb and is next to the inboard end of the grip, will NOT work with heated grips.

I have the Hot Grips on my 03 which get glued on with epoxy and I did not think far enough ahead to leave room for the lock. After trying a Throttlemiester which I couldn't stand it was time to make a Vista cruise work.

I took the twist grip apart and put the grip and tube assy in my lathe and trimmed off the flange until I just kissed the wires and then coated them with liquid tape. I then put the housing on the disc sander and took off as much as I dared. The result was just enough room for the Vista Cruise. I think I might have trimmed the rivit that holds it together. It has been working fine for a couple years.

Another posibility is to turn the grips on high with a towel wrapped around the grip. This will sometimes loosen the epoxy enough to move the grip. The people at Hot Grips gave me that info. It wouldn't work for me because I used JB Weld on mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have heated grips and use the Manic Salemander throttle lock (bar end twist type), like a Throttle Meister but better. Some locks that are like a clamp you throw it with your thumb and is next to the inboard end of the grip, will NOT work with heated grips.
What do you like better about the Manic Salemander over the Throttle Meister?

It is amazing to me that all Sport Touring bikes don't come with a cruise control option! Other then BMW. I can't seem to ride more the 10 minutes without my right hand needing a break.

Everyone, thanks for all of the replies!

What do you like better about the Manic Salemander over the Throttle Meister?

It is amazing to me that all Sport Touring bikes don't come with a cruise control option! Other then BMW. I can't seem to ride more the 10 minutes without my right hand needing a break.

Everyone, thanks for all of the replies!
I had a similar stock twist type throttle lock like a ThrottleMeister on my BMW. It took many twists to get it tight, and it still didn't hold well. I have NOT used a ThrottleMeister but have heard same issues. The Manic Salamander is a one quarter turn, it's quick one time that's it. It also does not hold the best, I'm trying to perfect that a little better. It would work far better if the throttle Assy could be moved on the FeeJ but it's fixed in that spot.
I also have been taking off some material on the spacer of the Manic unit that contacts the bar end, I'm not there yet. I also did the uncoil of the throttle spring deal, did that twice, maybe I need to do it three times.

Look at this thread on Throttle Return Springs way down on the pix.

I have also heard that those that have the Vitsa cruise love them. So the question is heated grips or better throttle lock. Or better yet get the Audiovox CC that Smitty installs for the forum and others have donw it too but Smitty has it down.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: