• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Gen II California Sci Touring Windshield - Large

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwoodham

Reaction score
Hi - I have a barely used CalSci GenII Large touring windshield for sale. It spent about two hours on my bike before I decided to go back to the stock screen. Great windshield - CalSci did their research well - I am just too tall for the screen (6'-7") and I didn't want to stick anything bigger on the front of my FJR. Consequently, I decided the stock screen was fine for what I need, which is something that I can adjust to take the wind pressure off my shoulders and direct the airflow up onto my faceshield.

I don't want to try to return the screen to Mike at CalSci as I made one small cutout at one of the mounting holes. It does not affect anything structural, nor is it visible under the "W" - but I don't think it's right to try to return something that I've modified - even if it's very slight.

Only visible cosmetic issue is some very small tooling mark around the edge of the bottom left curve of the shield; these were there when I received the shield and I felt they were of no consequence. Otherwise - it's in essentially new condition.

Screen lists for $185 - want to make a good deal for someone and get what I can for it - accordingly, I think somewhere around $90 would be fair.

I'll try to post some pics of the screen and the areas discussed above.

Thanks

- Kurt

I'll take this windscreen. I just have a question for you. I am 6'3" (just a hair over). Do you think I will be more pleased than you based on our 4" height difference?

FWIW, I bought a CalSci many years ago and couldn't decide on the size so I bought slightly bigger than I thought I needed rather than slightly shorter. After a couple months of using it, I decided to cut off an inch or so. It was a pretty easy process: Tape up both sides near the desired cut line and have at it with a band saw. Then an hour or so of sanding the cut edge with progressively finer grit sanding blocks. The edge came out maybe a little better than the factory edge. Bottom line: don't fret over a sligtly larger than ideal CalSci windshield.

FWIW, I bought a CalSci many years ago and couldn't decide on the size so I bought slightly bigger than I thought I needed rather than slightly shorter. After a couple months of using it, I decided to cut off an inch or so. It was a pretty easy process: Tape up both sides near the desired cut line and have at it with a band saw. Then an hour or so of sanding the cut edge with progressively finer grit sanding blocks. The edge came out maybe a little better than the factory edge. Bottom line: don't fret over a sligtly larger than ideal CalSci windshield.
I'm actually concerned about it being slightly too small, as opposed to too large, and don't want to run any sort of Laminar Lip.

When you are done cutting down a windshield, and sanding the edge smooth, you can flame the edge for a shiny finish.

Just run a butane torch slowly (but not too slowly) along the edge for a factory finish.

I'm sorry but, after checking with Cal Sci, I'll have to pass in favor of an XXL size. The large, I feel, won't be tall enough :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll take this windscreen. I just have a question for you. I am 6'3" (just a hair over). Do you think I will be more pleased than you based on our 4" height difference?
I think you will be (not just trying to sell you a windshield). If I hunched over a bit, I could get a relatively quiet buffet-free zone. We tall guys will never get the "cone of silence" - but the CalSci was very close to what seemed reasonable for me - I would get some buffeting just around the top of my helmet in the higher position, and I think a couple inches down (I suspect that would be the case if you and I were seated next to each other) would be just about right.

PS: look at https://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Fairing.html#Height - with your inseam, and see what you think.

Let me know - thumbs up/down and we can go from there. As much as I want to sell you the screen, I really want to make sure you're confident that it's a good fit for you. Too tall and you can cut it down; too short - well... As I said above, I didn't want to put much more screen on the front of the bike - I really like the sport look, and too much screen kinda ruins it for me. I think the large looks reasonable.

- Kurt

I'm sorry but, after checking with Cal Sci, I'll have to pass in favor of an XXL size. The large, I feel, won't be tall enough
sad.png
OK - just saw your post after I replied to your earlier one. That's fine. Want you to be happy.

- Kurt

Last edited by a moderator: