Gen Ii Stock Windshield + Which Helmet?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honzo

Reaction score
Haven't come across a discussion about this yet so tapping the vast milage here.

Looking to purchase a new Helmet in Feb. when the CW show comes my way in prep for my dream bike. Not looking for top of the line but you guys know where the wind and buffetting hits. Been searching helmet reviews and am leaning toward a Shoei RF 1000 because of the chin flaps and reviewed comfort, but only you folks can know the best possible combo. I haven't worn a full face in about 4 years and that was an RF 200. It was always a bit loud behind the bullet Targa fairing on my Nighthawk. Anyway, here would be the conditions:

Helmet under $500, Gen II FJR, Stock screen (because I like the look) full up thats about in line w/ upper lip, No earplugs since they hurt after a while, 2X size head with it's own weather system.

Thanks to the Gurus,

Hanzo

P.S. HOw does a newbie get teh spelling changed on his member ID to H "A" N Z O.

Duh.

Helmets are very much a personal preference thing. You need to just try them on and see what feels good to you.

One plus to buying a helmet at a CycleGear store, they have a 7 day no hassle helmet return policy.

JW

Note: I have no affiliation to Cycle Gear, just a customer.

I can't answer your helmet question, but if your earplugs hurt after a while, then you've got the wrong earplugs.

I found a pair of plastic in-the-ear plugs at a shooting range which I can wear for literally 24 hours. I know this because they're what I've worn at the 24 Hours of Daytona. Slept with them in, too.

Check out the Stealth and the other helmets made by Akuma. I don't know about the quality, but they are DOT certified and the designs are pretty cool.

Here's a review from webBikeWorld on the Akuma "Ghost Rider".

Last edited by a moderator:
I highly recommend this one:HELMET

Conspicuous for ease of visibility by cagers and aerodynamically enhanced to reduce buffeting.

Really though, DOT or Snell? My only experiences are with DOT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out the Stealth and the other helmets made by Akuma. I don't know about the quality, but they are DOT certified and the designs are pretty cool.
Here's a review from webBikeWorld on the Akuma "Ghost Rider".

MIght get one of these for the "cool" factor. I'm a pilot anyway. Airport bums will love them.

I love my Shoei X-11 for $431 at the Helmet Shop in Daytona. Quietest and best vented helmet that I have ever owned, I have a problem with wind coming up from the neck area, but I still wear earplugs so this may not be it for you. The FJR is kind of loud if you are over the windshield but not in clean air.

I love my Shoei X-11 for $431 at the Helmet Shop in Daytona. Quietest and best vented helmet that I have ever owned, I have a problem with wind coming up from the neck area, but I still wear earplugs so this may not be it for you. The FJR is kind of loud if you are over the windshield but not in clean air.

+1 on the Shoei X-11 - I just got one shipped to my door in black mettalic for $419 - I still have a Shoei RF-1000 which has been good - I like the X-11 better because the interior is removable for cleaning, more ventillation, and quiter than the RF-1000.